Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Clearing Ocean Mist + rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 08/22/18 at 8:53 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 08/25/18 at 12:25 am EST

This was shot overlooking Montara Beach on the San Mateo Coast. I would often look for compositions of the beach and surf. Then one day I thought to myself "Why am I omitting these plants I always stand on?" So that's how this composition came about. Nothing complex to see here.

There was little processing done for this image. I could have pushed the colors or add more contrast but it all started to look contrived.  This is pretty much as it came from the camera.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/22/18 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I’m glad you did not push the color, Igor.  There is a certain rhythmic interplay between foreground, rough surf, and the lack of horizon due to the storm clouds.  I like it. The reds in the sea grasses compliment the blues very well. 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 08/23/18 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

This looks wonderful just the way it is Igor.  I like the various hues of blue in the water.  The plant leaves serve as a nice lead in to the stormy sea.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/24/18 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I just love the looks of the water and waves and how it fades into the distant mist and clouds. The colors look great to me as you have it. Nature knows best! cool Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 08/24/18 at 4:47 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I really like the depth, colors and light of this image. I am just drawn into the image. For me the main subject is the ocean and fog so I think I would crop off some of the green of the sea grass on the bottom so the ocean is high lighted even more.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/25/18 at 12:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Richard, 

I guess I kind of liked that grass on the bottom and gave it considerable emphasis. But I do see your point. Since this was a vertical there was space available both above and below the image. Here is a crop that gives more attention to the see and less to the 'grass'. I'm interested to know what people think.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/25/18 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am a little late to the show, but I think I would like something in between the original and the crop, Igor. For me a crop of about a third from the bottom looks right. Anyway, really nice mood and light and I particularly like the horizon fog along with the mystery it imparts.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/25/18 at 5:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This turned out quite nice. Nice flow between the grasses, hills and ocean. Colors look spot on. I think I am with Ed on the crop. Maybe something in between. But that is getting nitty. Both versions work for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/26/18 at 10:02 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, this is a very inviting look at the ocean and the coast.  There's a fine contemplative sense with the balance between the grasses, the surging surf and the fading of the distant ocean into the misty sky.  For me the repost is more dynamic with the surf playing a stronger role than the grasses.  Both versions look good, depends on what mood you want to create.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 08/26/18 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

I really like the natural and hazy atmosphere created by the sea but even though there is nothing wrong with the rendition of the tangled grasses with the reddening tops.  I find there appearance overpowers that beautiful backdrop.  I think on the whole I would prefer their omission and/or a mellower foreground that is less of a distraction to the sea view above.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 08/26/18 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

I like the change in detail from front to back, from sharp grass blades, to the waves and to the soft clouds, and also color of reds and green to gentle blue.  I prefer the repost since it places less emphasis on the grass and more on the waves and added clouds. The grass is still there though for foreground and depth.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/27/18 at 8:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This picture offers a lovely mood - that of a desolate coastline and its inherent beauty. The inclusion of the foreground vegetation adds to that effect and for that reason I like your composition. The color palette and contrast  is soothing and adds to the grace that you have so successfully captured here.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership