Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

One more Killdeer/RP
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 08/16/18 at 4:23 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 08/19/18 at 12:42 pm EST

Here is one with a mostly dark background....  Would be better with a head turn.  The location of the lighter area in the BG could be distracting.  But the Killdeer itself is sharp.

Iso-250, 200-500 at 500 mm, F6 .3, 1000th, handheld, D500, Adobe camera raw 10.3, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 40%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 08/16/18 at 8:56 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

This is one of those images where the smaller version isn't very impressive, but the larger image really pops.  If this were mine, I think I'd go ahead and take the background all the way to black.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 08/16/18 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Good low angle, good plumage detail and a slight head turn would be nice. I kind of like the light streak. It doesn't add anything much, but a solid black BG doesn't either.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by S Govindarajan on 08/16/18 at 10:46 pm EST    
Registered on 04/19/08, 115 Posts, 1921 Comments

I agree that a better head angle would have been ideal, David. The killdeer is very sharp in the larger version and you again got a very good pov. I too think the background bring streak is a little distracting and the image would be better served with it toned down. Otherwise, the background is an excellent complement to the subject.

--Govind
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Know that The Supreme Soul's gradeur shines through millions of birds, animals, trees and mountains, the mortal and immortal, good and bad, and through the pious Tyagaraja and others" - Saint Tyagaraja (1767-1847)

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by S Govindarajan Gallery of S Govindarajan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim DeWitt on 08/17/18 at 4:25 pm EST    
Registered on 08/28/06, 1240 Posts, 8506 Comments

That's lovely, David, especially the larger view. I rotate it a bit counterclockwise. The background is fine.

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images
Boise, Idaho

Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care.
       - Terry Pratchett

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim DeWitt Gallery of Jim DeWitt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 08/17/18 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi David,

I like this one over your previous post.  Details and brightness are spot on.   You could crop it a little tighter if you have the pixels.........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 08/19/18 at 12:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Here is a repost with suggestions...

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by S Govindarajan on 08/20/18 at 8:59 pm EST    
Registered on 04/19/08, 115 Posts, 1921 Comments

I think the repost with the bright stalk toned down is a big improvement, David.

--Govind
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Know that The Supreme Soul's gradeur shines through millions of birds, animals, trees and mountains, the mortal and immortal, good and bad, and through the pious Tyagaraja and others" - Saint Tyagaraja (1767-1847)

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by S Govindarajan Gallery of S Govindarajan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership