Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Liquid Emerald + 1
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 08/13/18 at 10:27 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 08/13/18 at 7:52 pm EST

I perched on a dry ledge of a large falls in Oregon and took this image looking down and across. The waterfalls in Oregon are usually chocked with moss so I concentrated on their texture and colors. To get the detail this is best viewed large.

Canon 6D, 24-105@28mm, f/14, iso 100, 0.5 secs

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/13/18 at 11:13 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, this is a fine, tight view of the falling water with tons of moss.  The moss dominates the scene well as the water adds the context.  The glowing moss on the left really shows well in the larger version.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 08/13/18 at 5:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Very effective use of exposure time and DOF.  Is this in the Gorge?

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/13/18 at 7:50 pm EST    

No, David, this is Proxy Falls, which is near MacKenzie Pass. It's a 1.2 mile hike to the base of the falls and then a small trail that climbs up the left side of the falls. We hiked up as far as we could and shot images from the side. 

Here's another image I worked on of the same falls but I made it pretty bluish and didn't think others would like it. Plus, it's been severely cropped and has issues with sharpness.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/14/18 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, I think the blues in the repost (and the extra softness from the long exposure in the splashes) makes for a nicely mysterious/mystical view.  It's a different approach, that has its own merit.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/14/18 at 4:07 pm EST    

Yes, it's a different approach. As I worked on it it began to remind me of some of those hubble telescope images of gases in outer space. I developed it with that idea in mind.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 08/15/18 at 12:37 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

When I saw your first image, it was the water and the moss on the left side that intrigued me and I wondered if you had keyed in on that with other shots.  My personal preference is for the second image you have shown.  The vertical aspect works better with the flow of the falls.  I like the highlights in it and the blue works for me.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/15/18 at 1:07 pm EST    

Yes, they're two different images of the same subject. One is about moss and the other about peaks and sunlight. Perhaps it we get a 'blue' WC I'll use it. I had planned to shoot the second one again some day but I'd probably need a zoom that extends to 200mm to do it right. I remember at first actually trying to avoid the sunlight when I took it before realizing how beneficial it would be.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership