Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Last Snow
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 08/09/18 at 7:49 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 08/19/18 at 6:18 pm EST

It was a very warm and muggy day here in S.W. WI. today and it made me think about cooler days that will be coming. I don't want anything as cool as it was when I made this picture, but I am looking forward to my fall photo trip this year. This picture was the last snowfall we had this past winter. I headed over to Governor Dodge State Park to photograph what what ended up being our last snow for the season and had a great time hiking around trying to come up with a couple of images I liked. At one point the snow really started coming down again right while I was setting up this composition and it ended up being my favorite shot of the day. 
Probably no more snow pictures until the first snow this coming winter now...cool Thanks for looking and any thoughts. Nick
5DMK4, 70-300 F/4 L @ 85mm, ISO 400, F/8 and 1/40 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/09/18 at 8:56 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The mood of this image is so contrary to our current weather that I had to stare at it for about 15 minutes.  Seriously, Nick, it’s a jumble of snow covered bramble that on first glance doesn’t really say a lot.  By that, I mean it speaks very quietly.  But once you come in from about 105 degrees and open this up, it makes you take the journey all the way through.  It’s the perfect time to present an image like this. Well done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 08/10/18 at 07:58 am EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

The hints of warm color against the cool (or cold) whites is quite nice. Simple but excellent composition. Winter is coming.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/10/18 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is quite nice, Nick. The branches provide a real fine structure to the composition and the image has an excellent mood, colors and tones. A great flashback to winter. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/10/18 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 08/10/18 at 12:37 pm EST

Great seeing on your part to come up with this excellent composition. The barely perceptible colors are great as well. I also like the fact that there are no strong whites here. It's a somber image of a fairly somber event. I would have preferred a bit more sharpness throughout but I guess it's due to the falling snow. It does give it a more painterly look. The composition is quite complex. The image gets an A+ in creativity in my book. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 08/10/18 at 3:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

A refreshing photo this time of year! Love the detail but also the graphic lines on the right and left in the bigger trunks. Kudos for teasing out a great comp in all this chaos. Love the subtle color also.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 08/10/18 at 5:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Just finding a comp among all this would be challenging.  I think you found a nice combo of large and tiny branches to create nice variation across the frame.  The light works very nicely too.  There's just the right amount of color in the white snow.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/10/18 at 5:59 pm EST    

Thanks to all of you for your comments on this. Even though I like it quite a bit I really wasn't sure if anyone else would, so it is a pleasant surprise. It had so much of the feel and mood of that day that I was just happy that i had captured that...so thanks! cool
Igor, I did add some web sharpening to the first web file I did but it lost the feel for me so I did another without any extra sharpening and it seemed to have more of the feel of that day. I'm sure that is because of all the falling snow which was quite heavy at that time. Thanks much, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 08/10/18 at 10:03 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Very painterly.  Nice work!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 08/11/18 at 06:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

A subtle beauty that really grows on you.
Exquisite detail, perfect framing, ; a really serene and lovely scene.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 08/11/18 at 12:07 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Hi Nick.  I haven't been on NPN much lately but I saw this and had to stop and comment.  This takes your breath away!  You have become a Grand Master at this type of landscape images (which are my favorite types of Landscapes).  Your work is the same calibre of work as the UK's Colin Bell, Pete Hyde, and Paul Mitchell, and IMHO those guys are FANTASTIC.  You are every bit as talented as them.  I can sit and view this image forever and only become more and more appreciative the longer I look and explore.  This has everything you could possibly want - a very strong composition, interesting structure, subtle color, and a surreal "feel".  I just can't praise this enough.  I don't know if you've considered putting on a workshop, but I think you should at least consider it.  I realize that most people prefer the grand landscapes from out west, etc. but I (and many others) have grown weary of looking at icons and share a deeper appreciation of these types of images.  Again, BRAVO, and thank you for sharing your vision.  

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/11/18 at 5:11 pm EST    

Aaron, Sandy and Bill. Thank you for your comments. So glad you enjoyed this image. Thanks, Nick

Bill, I can't thank you enough for giving me your thoughts on this and my other work as well. I really can't even tell you how much your words mean to me. I have enjoyed so much of your work over the years as well. Thank you so much!!
All the best to you. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 08/12/18 at 3:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, this image is a great piece of art in my opinion. There is an amazing kind of weightlessness to me, and the trunks and branches make for just enough structure to lead me through the composition aptly. The tonal range and the subtle colors fit in perfectly with the atmosphere of this intimate scene to my eye. Thanks fo sharing!

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/12/18 at 6:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is such a pure joy to view, Nick. It has a wonderful magical quality to it that is so relaxing. I particularly like the hints of warm color in the scene along with all the delicate details and textures created with the falling snow and leafless trees and brush. you are the master of these kind of scenes. devil

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 08/14/18 at 03:02 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

This is quite mesmerised in its overall affect, the sense of snow falling, trees caught in a storm. And then you notice the small details. Outstanding work. 

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/14/18 at 09:28 am EST    

Peter, Ed and Kah Kit, Thanks guys! So glad you guys enjoyed it. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/14/18 at 6:57 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The snowy starkness here is great, Nick.  You've got a fine collection of tree shapes with the mix of snowy and dark uncoated trunks.  I like the subtle hints of color as well.  This is a fine invitation to explore a snowy woodland.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 08/15/18 at 12:29 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

This is pretty cool Nick.  I like how the colors and tones are subtle, and also how the snow covered branches and grasses make a myriad of sizes, textures, and directions.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 08/16/18 at 01:04 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Wow.  I really like this.  You are GOOD at finding compositions in scenes like this.  It's flat out mesmerizing for me.  It's like a song that you really like that you don't want to end.  There is a quiet calm here that really pulls me in.....then, as some else said, you see the details and it gets even better.  
You're setting the bar kinda high for this coming winter season!!!!!!!!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/16/18 at 1:50 pm EST    

Mark, Doug and Genny, Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. So glad you liked it. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 08/17/18 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Another great image. I really like this one. I could see it blown up really big and hanging on the wall some where. pYou have made something beautiful out of a seen that could be chaotic. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/19/18 at 12:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

What a marvelous image! This winter forest scene looks so inviting. The snow covered branches and the soft light have resulted in pure magic. I am also enjoying the composition, which provides structure and purpose without being overbearing.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/20/18 at 5:43 pm EST    

Richard and Anil, Thanks so much guys! Really appreciate getting your thoughts. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/22/18 at 12:12 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

sad.......wonderful winter scene, Nick.
I almost missed this image being on the run so much these days....Congrats on the well deserved WP too.....laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/22/18 at 7:17 pm EST    

Thanks Paul...cool Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership