Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Semblance
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 08/06/18 at 01:04 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I'm going to post a series of images from one rare calm evening early this year.  My son Dan, and dog Lucy, usually take an evening jeep drive when it looks promising.  Generally the camera never makes it out of the bag, but every once in awhile, we're glad we're there.  This is one of those evenings.

17-40mm @ 17mm, f/11, .8s iso 100

Better large

Your comments and critiques are very helpful and always appreciated.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/06/18 at 10:35 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The symmetry works beautifully here as does the tonal range, Gary. Great reflection and I find those FG rocks particularly striking as they finish off the scene for me. Wonderful job on this.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/06/18 at 1:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful reflection, sky and scene. I might try to lift the whites a little in the upper sky to bump the contrast, but really minor. An excellent takeaway from the evening drive with Dan and the pooch. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 08/06/18 at 3:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I'm really enjoying this one. I like how the clouds and their reflection all seem to radiate outward in a v pattern. Nice without the rocks so they're like icing on the cake.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 08/07/18 at 12:14 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Great capture, Gary.  I’m eager to see the series.  I like this a lot.  I can see the benefits of bumping whites a bit as mentioned above, but that might make the sky compete too much with the fg rocks?  I can also imagine this with less sky (a 1/3 sky 2/3 water and land com) to emphasize the rocks more.  Of course, it’s lovely as is as well, so it depends on your vision for it: calm or dynamic, sky as icing v. rocks as icing in the cake, etc. 

Nice work and looking forward to the others.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 08/08/18 at 4:03 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Hello Gary.  I like the symmetry of the image and the foreground rocks under the water.  One possible suggestion to try may be to add just a little contrast, midtone contrast or tonal contrast, but not too much to remove the feeling of calmness you caught.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/08/18 at 6:44 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, this is wonderful b&w work. I'm really enjoying it and it works nice for me as is. Cheers, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/08/18 at 8:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Sweet one, Gary. You've had some excellent B&W conversions and this one is high on the list with regard to a very pleasant scene with calming affects. Glad your camera made it out of the bag for this one......enlightened

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 08/08/18 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Well thats pretty damn fun. Gotta love stil water!

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/09/18 at 10:12 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, the clean symmetry here is outstanding, with the under water stones at the bottom making this a special view.  The brightness of the central peak and the wall behind and to the right create a very strong sense of a vast, dramatic landscape.  This one's definitely a wall hanger.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 08/09/18 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

You not only got calm water, but you had a nice sky to go along with it.  I like the foreground rocks to add depth and also abstract character of land on the far shore.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/10/18 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

What makes this image for me is the contrast between the sharp and contrasty distant land and the murky, subdued sky and water. I like the composition as is although I can understand the argument of cropping some of the sky to bring out the rocks a bit more. The image feels a bit tight on the bottom in that I wish a bit more space beneath the rocks. I do like how they slowly submerge into oblivion, however. Too bad about that AZ move. The photo ops just won't be as good. But who knows, perhaps you'll be surprised. This is a marvelous image, really.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/16/18 at 6:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

There is a zen like feel about this image. Viewing it almost puts me into a trance. I suppose this is result of the movement in the clouds coupled with the soft rendition of the submerged rocks in the foreground. I love the overall darkish tones with the highlights in the snow covered mountains acting a punctuation mark. 

A sophisticated presentation ... one that I have enjoyed viewing very much.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership