Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Water Hole
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 08/02/18 at 11:25 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 08/02/18 at 11:27 pm EST

This is from earlier this year at a local reservoir.  I'm hoping to post a few local shots before our upcoming move to the Phoenix area. I'll miss S. Utah and the proximity to so many wonderful photographic opportunities  My participation has been sporadic due to the never ending details of a new build coming down the home stretch.   

This image reminded me of a water hole with the reflections of the animals as the herd sneaks in for a quick drink. I have been mulling this image over for some time and would appreciate your thoughts. I may be out there on this one.

70-200 w/1.4 ext @280mm, F/10, 1/40

Better large

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/03/18 at 09:35 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Gary, a wild looking scene. Between the split level(s) view here and the almost infrared looking foliage upfront its tempting to eye wander just a bit, but in a good way.......laugh
The water FG adds another dimension to this arid region take overall. Nice work.......cool

Good luck on the relocation project albeit a somewhat disappointing departure from a landscape photographers paradise there in S.Utah.......cheeky

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/03/18 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary,  I think this works quite nice as you have it and I especially like your processing and what looks like infrared. It may not be but does have that look to me. The image is really interesting to look at and I really like the fine detail and the reflections are wonderful. As I look at it I keep wondering what it would be like if all the trees on the right edge were cropped off, then cropped in on the left side a little closer to the trees, then crop all the way down to the dark background trees ending up with mostly those highlighted trees and reflections. Lots of cropping which I usually don't like to do but I just wonder how it would look. Not to replace this image because I like it, just a whole new version of it. Just thinking out loud...cool Nick
Good luck on your move! 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/03/18 at 11:37 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am really liking the lighting and scene, but the cutoff right bush is throwing me off. I was thinking of a right crop to eliminate the cutoff bush, then a little cleanup to give the right edge some margin. Reading the comments, it seems Nick had a similar idea. The concept is working quite well for me overall. 

Good luck with all the move "stuff". I will miss your amazing house (and guest room) in beautiful Ivins! What a spot, but life moves on. It will be nice to be close to family. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/03/18 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, the brightness of the foreground shrubs and their reflections is a great attention getter.  Then, the subtle shrubbery behind them and the rugged land behind add well to the visual interplay, making for a very dynamic view.  I think the strong asymmetry adds nicely to the dynamic viewing.  I'm sure you'll find lots to photograph in the areas surrounding Phoenix, but we'll sure miss your S. Utah landscapes.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 08/03/18 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Gary, I'm going to be as honest and truthful as I expect everyone to be with my posts. I'm not liking the RH bush at all. I think Nick has hit on the right idea with his crop suggestion, though I might be tempted to leave a little more on the tio than he would. Everything else is fantastic. The light, the concept, the reflection, the processing, the vision and subject are all first rate.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 08/03/18 at 3:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I forgot to mention that even with the crop, you'd probably still have to do some cloning and patching to completely get rid of the bush.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 08/03/18 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

This is one of the few times I enjoyed the small photo over the large.
On my computer the whites are a bit too bright in the Large version.
Since I think the large version is probably more your intent, my preference would be to cut back the contrast and lower the whites...
Nice to try something different!

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 08/03/18 at 9:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Those trees are spooky and engaging. Maybe feels like they have to compete a bit with the background.  The textured land draws the eye quite a bit.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/03/18 at 10:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

On my computer the whites are a bit too bright in the Large version.

I agree with this statement. The lack of any detail in the bone white bush isn't working for me. I always had difficulty with those infrared images even thought many felt them meaningful. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 08/03/18 at 11:01 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Ah, that's some fun light!  I think the mull is worth it.  There is something odd about the comp that doesnt seem balanced to me.  Maybe try a 1:2 crop?   Still weighted right but think that helps a bit perhaps.  Good luck w the house :)

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/04/18 at 10:18 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

It may be out there a little, but it is always a good thing to think outside of the box, Gary. I love the light on the bushes as it gives them a wonderful luminance against the darker BG. I agree with the crop suggestion of the bush on the right side. Good luck on the move and I will miss your S Utah images although I am sure you will find some wonderful stuff in your new area.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/14/18 at 3:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

There is a fine juxtaposition of elements here that makes the picture so enjoyable. The rugged landscape in the background vs the fine vegetation. The light also contributes toward this effect. A somber image but one that immediately demonstrates the sensitive eye of the artist behind its making. I wish most photographs of this nature were presented here on NPN.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership