Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fly Fishing Sockeyes
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 08/02/18 at 12:03 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 08/02/18 at 12:07 am EST

My son and I now have different goals when we go to Alaska. He wants to fly fish and I want to shoot landscapes. More often than not I end up photographing him. Most are hero shots of him holding up the fish so this was special in that I was able to sneak up on him and catch him in the act. There is a lot of blown out areas on the water but I'm not concerned too much because this goes into the 'memory' folder of images.

Shot with an iphone.

The sockeyes are in their spawning color which you can see in the water. Actually, it's inaccurate to say that he's fishing for sockeyes. He's fishing for rainbows that feed on the spawn released by the sockeye salmon. Hooking a sockeye is actually undesirable because the fly rod is too flimsy to handle these fish. This is the Russian River on the Kenai Peninsula.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/02/18 at 1:47 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, in this "sneak peek" at your son fishing, I don't see the blown water as a problem.  His turning to look at you through the leaves is a fine bit as is being able to see the salmon in the water.  This looks good as an "action shot".

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/04/18 at 09:33 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/04/18 at 09:34 am EST

.......this goes into the 'memory' folder of images.

Igor, my brother Tom would be jealous. He is the fly fisherman in our family. I've not fished since the 70's. However, I can relate here with regard to the scene and the location. I spent 2 years flying to numerous locations throughout the state of Alaska working on the DEW (Distant Early Warning) Line sites back in the 60's.
And yes I can recall seeing spawning salmon on the Kenai and many other locales in the state. Really good to see you and your son enjoying this treasured time and outing together......good to go !

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 08/04/18 at 11:38 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Wonderful look at some great time together, Igor.  Who would even notice blown highlights in the background, with all the interesting action in your son, the water and even the salmon visible!  I often catch what many people call "undesirable" fish too, but I enjoy them all!  Nice to see the rod bending.  I hope he didn't loose any tackle.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership