Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Oaks in the Fog
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 07/29/18 at 4:41 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is a picture I made a couple of days ago just a few miles from my home. I had come across these wonderful old oak trees and planned to go back and photograph them early in morning when we had some fog. We had that two days ago so I was there early just waiting for some light. I was afraid much of the fog would be gone before I got some nice light breaking through, and a lot of it did but there was still enough to get the mood I was after. It was really fun shooting these and I made several shots. I will be going back on our next foggy morning which will probably be quite soon. Thanks for looking and all of your comments on my last post as well.
5DMK4, 24-105L @24mm, ISO 100, F/8, at 1/15 sec.
ps: Just got the metal print back of my last post and it looks awesome. Super happy with it and just in time for the show I'm setting up this week now.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/29/18 at 9:17 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

The early morning fog over the greenery in the field, midst the heavy cover of the oaks, creates a sense of isolation and aloneness that is soothing to this urban soul.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/29/18 at 10:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I really love the fleeting light in this scene as it it truly magical, Nick. This is just so soothing to view and the details throughout the image are amazing. I really like that second tree; did you get any images of just that one? I missed your last post so I will have to be sure and go back to check it out. Anyway, wonderful image.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 07/30/18 at 03:07 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

The mood is wonderful Nick and the result honest and natural.  Very pleasing.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 07/30/18 at 07:22 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Very peaceful feeling to this image. It is not a dynamic image, some big mountain or the like, but it makes you want to stay and look because of the quiet and peace your captured so well. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/30/18 at 08:50 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great peaceful morning mood to the image. It is a beautiful subtle scene with rich color. Most enjoyable. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/30/18 at 10:06 am EST    

Thanks so much guys! It was a wonderful morning to photograph the beautiful old oaks. Really appreciate your comments. Nick
Ed, I did do some shots of that second oak on it's own as well. Actually I was back there again early this morning because we had lots of fog and made a couple more shots of them. Great looking old oak trees! Thanks, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 07/31/18 at 2:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, your composition makes for a most appealing kind of dialog between the two trees for me. I also like the way you keep me exploring the whole image - while the brighter area at the left draws my attention first, the structure of the branches and twigs leads me gently to the right, and finally I return to the left edge again. Great work in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/31/18 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Very nicely done here on this one, Nick. I can only wish for such greenery or even just a breathe of fog these days. Another fine image to add to your wonderful portfolio. Good luck with your upcoming show too........ laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/31/18 at 3:17 pm EST    

Thanks Peter! So glad you enjoyed it. Means a lot to me. Cheers, Nick
Paul, Thanks so much! Wish I could send some of that your way...I have everything packed up in my 4 Runner and ready to set the show up tomorrow afternoon. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/01/18 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Nice work as usual, Nick.  I love the serenity on display here.  Good luck with your upcoming show.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/02/18 at 5:25 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Nick, the glow on the left and the distant fog on the right are very attractive dressing for this oak and where you've placed it.  Looks like a lovely morning to be wandering.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 08/03/18 at 9:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

The fog level here works quite well. Good light and nice dynamic comp with the off-center trees.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/05/18 at 12:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A beautiful pastoral scene. I love the soft colors. The depth offered by the composition is striking and really helps place me in the scene. The fog adds to that feeling by nicely softening the background.

Hope the show was great Nick.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/05/18 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I think what really makes this image for me is the lighting on the left side of this tree. Without it this image would be much duller like many of the fog pictures. The tree behind it is magnificent and could have been a subject by itself. For some reason this image makes me think of the Civil War with the two sides fighting it out in those fields. It's a nice image, full of emotion.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/05/18 at 1:26 pm EST    

Thanks to all of you for your comments on this. As always they are much appreciated. For any that might be interested I posted another image of these oaks in the M&N gallery. The oak in the back of this scene is used as the foreground tree in that shot and I also included the road that goes past these majestic old oaks. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership