Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sugar Hill Lupines + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 07/27/18 at 11:23 am EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 08/04/18 at 10:06 am EST

Nikon D 800
Nikon 17-35 @ 35 mm
f 20 @ 1/4 sec.
ISO 400
MLU
cable release & tripod

I went with the square crop to place the focus on the lupines and the two white birch clumps. This is from last year as the lower field was really overgrown with a lot of scrub and not a lot of lupine.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 07/27/18 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

That must be quite a site in real life.  Are these as big as they seem?

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 07/28/18 at 08:27 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the idea, Ed. It's original. Those are some healthy lupines. We never see them quite so tall here on the west side. You could work on the color intensity of the blue flowers a bit. The 50/50 composition works quite well in this case.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 07/28/18 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

What a nice scene and the square crop works well.
Nice separation from the FG to the trees...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/29/18 at 5:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Great shot, Ed. Lots of visual interest here with the sloping hillside, and the awesome lupines leading to the birch trees. The square crop was a wise decision as I compared it to mine with a wider ratio and this looks a lot better.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/29/18 at 5:28 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, This is really nice and I like the square format very much. It has a wonderfully natural feel and is quite inviting. The birch in the background worked out beautifully. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/29/18 at 9:52 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts everyone; always appreciated.
Tony and Igor: As a general rule of thumb the lupines are 3' -4' tall with some of the spikes as long as approximately 16". I think I remember reading once that they can grow as tall as 5'.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/30/18 at 11:25 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful stand of flowers and finely crafted image of them. No suggestions here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/31/18 at 3:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

devil......absolutely gorgeous scene here, Ed. I'm truly jealous of this lush vegetation and the stunning lupine. Amazingly the wind must have been on your side as everything looks motionless. A very hard thing to predict around with this many leaves and the tall lupine stems......Excellent.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/03/18 at 01:31 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is a beauty, Ed.   Everything is so crisp front to back.  The clumps of birch support the lupines perfectly.  Awesome image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 08/03/18 at 1:11 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Those spear-like lupine heads are real nice. An alternative crop may be a vertical using the right half of the image with just the one cluster of nice birch trunks for background.  I could see you spending lots of time working this beautiful area.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/03/18 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

What a pretty scene. Hard to believe places like this exit. 

I love your composition. It offers a nice doze of structure while being loose enough to not appear regimented. The color palette is also very appealing.

I can only imagine how lovely it must have been to be in that location. Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/04/18 at 10:05 am EST    

Thanks for your thoughts guys; always appreciated. It is always an invigorating time with the lupines. Some years everything falls into place and capture some wonderful images and other times nothing seems to cooperate and you come away with throwaways.  I guess that's what keeps us as nature photographers going back and trying again. sad
   Here is a repost per Dougs's suggestion of a crop making a vertical composition.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership