Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Kilgore Falls
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Man & Nature gallery on 07/26/18 at 10:39 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 07/26/18 at 10:42 pm EST

Nikon D 800
Nikon 35-70 @ 44 mm
f 18 @ 1/4 sec.
ISO 400
MLU
tripod & cable release

First off, this is a hard waterfall to photograph due to the large rocks at the base of the falls. I had decided to get a little elevation so as to create some separation of the rocks and falls. I had already taken a few shots when this lady decided to wander into the scene oblivious to what I was doing. Rather than getting upset I just decided to go with the flow and incorporate her in the image as she did add a sense of scale.

As always thanks for taking the time to look and leave a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/27/18 at 06:43 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Love this shot, Ed. You got your "model" to strike the perfect pose. Great shot of this hard to photograph waterfall. There is a small dust bunny in the water just to the right and above her head. Her right. your left.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 07/27/18 at 09:47 am EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

Good photo, couldn't have posed her better. I have a photo of these falls but had to spend an hour cloning out all the bathers. Seems to me there might be a little too much green, at least in the white water.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 07/27/18 at 10:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Really nice perspective on these beautiful falls, and great pose from the girl. A very well-balanced image that works well.
The water seems greenish/ blueish  and off-colour - I'd suggest 
bringing down the yellows/greens in the white water area (masking them off or using the magnetic circle tool) and  adjust the white/highlight/t brightness sliders to where it looks like nice clean white water.
A good shot with even greater potential!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/28/18 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike, Ronald and Sandy. Here is a repost with the dust spot cloned out and 15 points of green removed from the scene.
Ronald: I hear you on the bathers as it can get crowded. I went over one day after some heavy rains and had the place to myself for 10 minutes before a few people showed up.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Snead on 07/31/18 at 4:04 pm EST    
Registered on 04/06/17, 104 Posts, 397 Comments

Ed

I really like this.  What a great photograph to show the scale of these falls.  You got really lucky that she stood still long enough to use a slower shutter speed which allowed you to get that flowing water.  Great shot!

Kathy Snead
Golden, CO

http://KathySneadPhotography.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Snead Gallery of Kathy Snead

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/01/18 at 5:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real nice image and excellent for the model to pose so nicely for you. I like the changes in the repost and may even take it a little further and see how it looks. This turned out quite well. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/05/18 at 11:11 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, The repost worked out quite well. It was nice you didn't get upset and just took advantage of what you had. The girl gave a good pose and it made for a nice image. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership