Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Light in the Forest +1
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 07/22/18 at 08:35 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 07/22/18 at 5:31 pm EST

I made this picture last month while on my photo trip in Upper MI. After a stormy night with lots of wind it settled down to a light rain by afternoon. I made this shot while photographing along the Union River in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Area. I saw some nice light breaking through but knew it wasn't going to last long so I hiked up the gorge a bit and ended up making this shot in the woods. I quite enjoyed this break of light while it was there. Thanks for any thoughts. Nick
5DMK4, 16-35 F/4 L @35, ISO 400, F/11 0.6 sec. CPL.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 07/22/18 at 08:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful woodland image, Nick. Good use of the nice light. Color is great and I like the comp. No suggestions from me. I like it as posted.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/22/18 at 5:11 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 07/22/18 at 5:58 pm EST

Thanks Scott!
Having a hard time with sharpening on this one. I don't know if this one is any better but it seemed so on my monitor and hopefully is here. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 07/22/18 at 6:02 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Nicely, done, Nick. A beautifully composed image and you took full advantage of the light.  I didn't see an issues with the sharpness in #1. #2 looks smoother on the bark and foliage but not sharper.  Very nice work.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/22/18 at 6:21 pm EST    

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate getting your thoughts. The second image does have less sharpening and to me does appear a bit smoother. I though maybe the first one had a bit to much sharpening...even though I didn't do much. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 07/22/18 at 7:17 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Wonderful result of your efforts, Nick. I love the angle of light and the vibrant green that carries me into the scene. Those ferns make for a nice element to ground the comp. Excellent work.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/22/18 at 7:18 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Nick, the mix of greens and fallen leaves is very attractive.  Having the bright distance adds a fine sense of depth.  I didn't see a problem the original post, but the repost seems just a hair brighter in the foreground, which I like.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Neukirch on 07/22/18 at 7:31 pm EST    
Registered on 07/09/12, 207 Posts, 1476 Comments

Wonderful capture of the scene, feels like being there (without the bugs). I'm sure many ways to work this up, everyone has their opinion. devil

John Neukirch
Eastern Nebraska
http://www.johnneukirch.com
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
John Burroughs

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Neukirch Gallery of John Neukirch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 07/22/18 at 8:18 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I really like the processing, prefer the OP just slightly as I like the painterly look so a bit less sharp appeals to me.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/23/18 at 2:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful light and scene. Both looks good to me. This turned out really well!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 07/23/18 at 4:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This has that enchanted and mysterious look that we typically associate with forests. I love the contrast between the bright and dark areas. The larger trunks really anchor the composition and provide the reference frame within which one can find so many interesting things to explore. 

Fantastic stuff Nick.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Tobias on 07/23/18 at 11:10 pm EST    
Registered on 09/12/09, 2120 Posts, 6455 Comments

A  good story telling photo.  One of the better 'forest' images I have seen.  No nits.  Thanks for shairng.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Tobias Gallery of John Tobias

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 07/24/18 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

This has that damp deep woods feel to it. I like the composition with the opening between the two big trees. I draws me into the image and makes we want to know farther beyond. Great light and image.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/24/18 at 12:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

You are a master at these kind of images. Love the painterly feel to this and the depth imparted by that sweet light on the BG trees.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 07/24/18 at 6:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Your forest scenes are always a delight to view Nick.  The repost works best.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/26/18 at 5:38 pm EST    

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments on this. Always nice getting your thoughts. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jay Levin on 07/26/18 at 7:55 pm EST    
Registered on 04/24/09, 21 Posts, 184 Comments

Beautiful forest scene, Nick.  The composition is perfect, and that Michigan light is awesome.  A winner.

Jay Levin
Farmington Hills, Michigan
www.pbase.com/drjaysel/profile

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jay Levin Gallery of Jay Levin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/28/18 at 6:28 pm EST    

Thanks all for your comments on this one. 
Jay, Yes, that UP light can be wonderful. Just got my metal print back about 5 minutes ago and it does look awesome! Really happy with it and it is just in time for the show I'm setting up next week. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matt Anderson on 08/17/18 at 2:05 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 346 Posts, 2696 Comments

Love this image Nick!
I've been trying to get up to the UP all Summer, but too busy.

My Website My Instagram  My Facebook 500px 

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Matt Anderson Gallery of Matt Anderson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/17/18 at 6:44 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 08/17/18 at 6:48 pm EST

Hi Matt, Thanks so much. That means a lot to me. I did a metal print of it and it just looks super, sold it and getting a couple more now. I think I'm heading to the North Shore early in September and then the UP on October 1st. Hope you make the UP this fall if it works out for you. That is always a great time to be up there. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership