Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Yellow Warbler ?
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 07/11/18 at 4:24 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 07/11/18 at 4:38 pm EST

I believe this is a female Yellow Warbler.  Based on the facial markings and my look through Sibley, this appears to be the closest match.  It's the only one I saw today at McLain Creek wildlife refuge.  I did see a few common Yellowthroats but this one appears somewhat different and it doesn't look like the female Yellowthroat.  This is a very large crop, 35% of full frame ( 7 MP out of 20) Light was very harsh at this time of day, probably 9 AM.  This bird landed and took off within seconds so I don't have any other views to aid with identification.

Iso-500, 600 mm +1.4 extender, F8, 1000, D 500, tripod, Adobe camera raw 10.3, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 35%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 07/11/18 at 5:45 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Nice detail, David.  I do wish it was side-on for ID, but tome it looks closer to the female Yellowthroat than the Yellow (using Peterson).  As an aside, I had a couple of deer in the backyard at 6:37 this morning and the light was already too harsh for decent photography.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 07/11/18 at 10:06 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi David,

Yes, common yellowthroat for sure.  The gray mask is a good field mark for female yellowthroats. Comp is nice and you managed the harsh lighting very well.......................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 07/12/18 at 12:27 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Great shot, David, even if the light was harsh.  The details are stunningly sharp.  You just got to love that moth full she has! 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 07/13/18 at 02:17 am EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

Nice capture, David!  I like how its walking on the Lillie pads and the mouthful of bugs is also a big bonus.  Very good color and detail in this shot, especially in the large version.  Can't think of anything that I would want to change.

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/13/18 at 2:17 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments
Comment last edited by Philip Hodgkins on 07/13/18 at 2:18 pm EST

I will ditto Gary's remarks. Good as is, except the oversaturated blue tone in the BG!

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nate Chappell on 07/15/18 at 1:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/06, 1158 Posts, 19528 Comments

I agree with the female Common Yellowthroat ID here David, great to get her with a mouthful in a cool lilypad setting!  The blues look a bit too electric to me. devil

Nate Chappell
Avian Gallery Moderator
Texas and Ecuador

BIRD PHOTOGRAPHY TOURS AND WORKSHOPS-SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nate Chappell Gallery of Nate Chappell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership