Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Cow Bird
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 07/10/18 at 3:47 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 07/10/18 at 4:59 pm EST

Cow birds are not frequent visitors to my area and this is the first male I've ever seen. This is a Brown Headed Cow Bird.  I really like the richness of the brown on the head in this image. It has a beak injury.  Any speculation on how this might have occurred?  Yes and it would be a better image if the tail was in focus.

Iso-1600, 200-500 at 500 mm, F8, 800th, D 500, tripod, no flash, DxO photo lab, Adobe camera raw 10.3, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action is 50%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 07/10/18 at 4:07 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Wonderful detail and composition, David.  I wonder how he injured his beak?  The Cow Birds have tried to take over the bird feeder, and I was afraid our nest box as well, but between the Mockingbirds and the Bluebirds, they didn't stay with us.  See them once in awhile, but only for a quick feeding on our feeder.  I love the way this one is turning his he toward you,

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Avi Hirschfield on 07/11/18 at 09:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 518 Posts, 2114 Comments

nice color great BG seen a few different birds with similar beak injuries.

Creativity is GOD'S gift to us.
Using our creativity is our gift to other's.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Avi  Hirschfield Gallery of Avi  Hirschfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 07/11/18 at 10:49 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Interesting, David.  I've seen a few broken beaks like that, but I have no idea how it happens.  On my monitor, the blaks look a bit bright, but I tend to like them darker than a lot of people.  Excellent focus and a nice head turn.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership