Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Under the Rocks are Word
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 07/10/18 at 1:12 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 07/19/18 at 2:52 pm EST

This image was taken in a passage of water that runs through a tidal flat. The water was moving and thus causing the shadows.

This image was inspired by my favorite scene from "A River Runs Through It". I often go back to the clip for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJF70sHMFN8

Sharpened with TK Actions.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/10/18 at 8:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/10/18 at 8:17 pm EST

Igor, both inspiring. Your fine image here and the small video clip from "A River Runs Through It". I can truthfully say I cannot recall too much of that excellent movie having seen it all those years back now. I just recalled it was a fine one from Robert Redford's long list of cinema accomplishments as well as he being associated with the top flight environmental group the NRDC. I think I've belonged to that group longer then several others I've worked with over the many years now.

For me the entire image is a scene we often take for granted when we're out in the field. I personally do not get much chance to work around water. I might have missed this peaceful photographic scene up and also missed the mind respite it provides looking at it for a period of time. Your comment states a "tidal pool" so I assume this is a salt water location? The ripple shadows gives a slight look of a seashell on the FG larger white rock.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 07/10/18 at 10:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 07/10/18 at 10:40 pm EST

Paul, I figured that white seashell may be misidentified as a rock because of all the flow shadows. By the looks of it that shell has been there for a considerable time. It may even be a fragment of lower part of an oyster shell. Some oyster shells are pitted like that on the outside. The upper part of the image looks soft to me. I believe that may have been due to a bit greater depth causing a DOF issue (f/6.3). The geology around this lagoon has a lot of metamorphic rock, which gives those varied colors after the surface algae starts to appear. The trick as I recall was to wait for the tide to recede and expose rocks which were rarely dry.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/10/18 at 11:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Igor......OK on the seashell. I could not tell for sure although it appeared to be one....Thanks for the update there.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/11/18 at 09:45 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

A lovely warm, inviting look at these underwater pebbles (and worn shell), Igor.  The shadows of the rippled surface are a great addition that adds a fine touch of the dynamic.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/13/18 at 09:19 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a lovely array of shapes and colors and the ripples add a sense of depth to this intimate landscape, Igor. Great eye to spot this one. I really like your placement of the eroded sea shell.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/16/18 at 4:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This is great I was just going to say I feel like I could really hear the water babbling over the stones but I see it"s a tidal pool. But I'll leave my comment stand. You've achieved the look of running water with the ripples. Love how they mimic the patterns in the shell.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership