Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Cliff Side
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 07/09/18 at 4:10 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 07/19/18 at 2:55 pm EST

Larger View Available

This was from this AM.  Forecast was for clear and 2% cloud cover, but I have seen many similar days with similar forecasts and watched a beautiful sunrise unfold while lying in bed looking out the window.  Glad I didn't stay in bed this AM.  The moon is a little distorted from being near the top of the frame I think, not sure what tool I could fix it with so I will leave it as is for now.  May try again tomorrow when the moon is closer to the horizon but another clear morning is forecasted.  We'll see.  Tides will be lower, so not sure the water action will be as good.  These rocks are way slippery and hazardous to walk around, so getting wet was part of the deal. Helped make it more memorable and an adventure.

D810, Tamron 15-30mm, ISO 250, f11, 1/4 sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 07/09/18 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Wonderfully framed comp to keep the horizon high, Harry. The copper colored highlights really set the leading lines off nicely. And a fine choice of shutter speed to get some detail in the water. Would work just as well without the moon. Excellent work.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/09/18 at 4:58 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I love all the dynamics in this scene, Harry. The striated rock make for the perfect lead in lines and the drama with the water crashing at your feet elevates this to another level. Of course the combination of warm and cool colors is equally fantastic. My brother and I had talked about making plans to visit this location on our trip in June, but we were not able to work it out. This will just whet my appetite more. Any problem with the owners for accessing this spot? Just curious as someone mentioned that the restaurant had new owners.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/09/18 at 5:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

@ Ed - No one has bothered me, have been there in afternoon and in AM everyone was sleeping.  Actually did run into a security guard one morning, but he was more interested in taking his own photos than security.  Whoops.  Be warned, looks like they shoot off fireworks along the rocks on weekends for the rest of the summer.   There was much cardboard remnants blown all over the rocks - too bad.  Thought they would maybe do that kind of thing where they could collect the waste.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 07/09/18 at 7:29 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Very cool....and good job getting after it.  Might want to look in to tabis...where them out here..felt bottoms that help on slippery rock.  As for moon...best to shoot another frame quickly tilting frame up and then replacing in post.  But works well enough.  Nice shot!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 07/09/18 at 9:12 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Spectacular image. Very dynamic composition with great leading lines and a rich, vibrant color palette. Processing looks spot-on.  The distortion of the moon does not bother me but I could see moving it down slightly away from the top of the frame. Not sure if this cross the "ethics line" for you but very easy to execute with the Content Aware Move Tool.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 07/10/18 at 01:05 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Really sweet Harry.  Love the action of the water and awesome light.  Just outstanding.  If it were me, I’d lose the moon.  It adds nothing

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 07/10/18 at 11:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Excellent, Harry, everything is working for me, moon not an issue, love it.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ned Fenimore on 07/10/18 at 1:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 467 Posts, 2803 Comments

Great leading lines and composition.  Colors are great, and inclusion of the moon is awesome!

Vancouver, Washington

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ned Fenimore Gallery of Ned Fenimore

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephanie Murphy on 07/10/18 at 6:10 pm EST    
Registered on 10/18/17, 24 Posts, 56 Comments

Wow. This may be the perfect photo. Very well done!

Stephanie Murphy
”Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known” (Reporter Sharon Begley in interview with Carl Sagan)

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephanie Murphy Gallery of Stephanie Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 07/11/18 at 08:55 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

The moon really helps the image to stand out. Beautiful colors, Harry. The details in the larger version are amazing. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Prower on 07/11/18 at 12:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/05/12, 24 Posts, 167 Comments

Great timing, details and colours! And the composition is great too!

Driven by passion for Landscape photography
https://phototours.icelandaurora.com/
IcelandAurora Photo Tours

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Prower Gallery of Tony Prower

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/11/18 at 12:59 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

You've got some great colors, a splendid bit of splash on the left and fine moving water here, Harry.  The crescent moon is a great extra bit.  At NPN sizes, the distortion is not noticeable.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 07/11/18 at 11:22 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Gorgeous Harry, I think it is a tad purple and might warm it up.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barry Ashenhurst on 07/12/18 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 08/04/09, 253 Posts, 455 Comments

Punchy Harry. I like it.

ARTIST'S STATEMENT: Wow, that's great! What is it?

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barry Ashenhurst Gallery of Barry Ashenhurst

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Joe James on 07/14/18 at 7:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/20/09, 89 Posts, 808 Comments

Wonderful shot Harry!  I love that you effectively "stepped into" the scene by getting out on the rocks; it makes the scene much more dramatic.

Joe James
Indialantic, FL
https://naturescapes.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Joe James Gallery of Joe James

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 07/19/18 at 8:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This a real beauty Harry. You have captured the spirit of this place perfectly. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/21/18 at 5:44 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Harry, What a fantastic picture. It is wonderful. Excellent comp, beautiful light and colors. Perfect shutter speed for me! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership