Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Melding
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 07/06/18 at 12:54 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 07/13/18 at 10:54 am EST

This is another image from a recent trip to central Utah.  I'm surprised any of the images were clear enough to post from this wonderful morning of light and extreme wind.   Probably blowing a sustained 20mph.  Harley once told me about a technique for using a bungee cord stretched from the tripod hook.  What the hell, I gave it a try and I'm pleased with the results.    Long lens, high winds...what could go wrong.  I did bump the ISO for a faster SS.  I can live with a little noise.

Sigma 100-400 @ 400mm, f/8, iso 400, 1/640

Better large.

Thanks for your comments on my last post and I'd like to thank you in advance for any comments/critiques on this one.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 07/06/18 at 05:08 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Pretty badass.  All the zones!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 07/06/18 at 07:31 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Awesome image, Gary. Love the shapes and tones. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 07/06/18 at 10:34 am EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Masterful in its simplicity and abstract effect, I'll remember the impact of this image on me, Gary, as I try to advance my own vision in landscape photography.  It's one of your best!

Since you mentioned using a bungee cord, I have to ask the question.  What are you using to attach to the other end of the bungee cord?  I've seen pics of backpacks and gallon jugs of water hanging from a tripod hook, but not bungees.

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/06/18 at 10:44 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Beautiful tones and like the triangular point of focus. I have regularly hung my camera bag or a plastic bag with a rock in it over my lens to steady it at 600mm. Works very well with wind or to dampen vibrations. This looks like a similar shot that I have seen with a rock or boulder highlighted. Not sure the same location, but there is something familiar about it.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 07/06/18 at 11:00 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Thanks for the nice comments.  Paula, I should have mentioned that you stretch the bungee with as much tension as you can and stand on the other end. Seemed to work well.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/06/18 at 11:27 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Gary, the clarity is great and it lets the triangles of the larger ridges really shine.  The spot of sun on the lower section adds well.  It's an awesome landscape.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 07/06/18 at 12:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

One of your best, if not your best, ever. Congratulations. It's a subject you've worked on for quite a while but this is the culmination of all that work. Perhaps it's the long lens that made this possible. There is wonderful balance to this image. First the vertical repetition, then angular repetition, and below the repeated mounds - all done with different tonal variation. There's also a graphic quality that I find very appealing. But, actually this appeals to me best as an abstract - a collection of shapes that have such harmony. Looks like a winner to me. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 07/06/18 at 12:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Hi Gary,
This is lovely.  I am really enjoying the simplicity of the composition and the sporadic outcroppings in the larger view.  As for your bungee strategy—“stretch the bungee and stand in the other end”—I would not trust my short term memory.  I can see myself stepping off, and ZAP, there goes the end hook into the LCD!  Kudos for your focus and attention to detail here.  Maybe cutting off the end hook and connecting a bandana around it with a pin would make it easier to stand on and less likely to do harm on release?

Anyway, back to the image itself:  fabulous!
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/06/18 at 3:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful Gary! Great range of tones and great layering of land and tone. Most excellent!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/06/18 at 4:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Sweet lines, shapes and tones in this beautiful B&W landscape, Gary. landscape. I am thoroughly enjoying that triangular shaped land mass; very striking IMO.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 07/06/18 at 8:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Beautiful tonality and a great composition.

Nice to see you back, Gary!
-P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/06/18 at 8:27 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

The layers in this image are interesting starting with the more rounded and contoured hills in the lower part of the frame and then moving to the second layer with the dominant triangular formation to the top layer with the repetition of steep triangular formations.  This image combines the best of geology and geometry!  Oh, and let's not forget art!  Nicely captured with great processing.  I like how each layer is a different brightness as well.  Nicely done!  devil

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 07/07/18 at 05:24 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Hello Gary nice repeating triangles and great texture.  I use the bungee technique and have done for years.  Scotland has a lot of peaty soil and a lot of high wind and rain all I do is take one of those triangular section tent pegs attach it to the hook on the other end of the bungee and push and tread the tent peg into the ground.  Works well and the natural stretch of the bungee smoothly damps any vibrations.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/07/18 at 3:31 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Most of what has been said I will ditto. The essential contribution of the stacked tonal layers cannot be overstressed. I wish this were mine!

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 07/11/18 at 08:06 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

I like how you divided the frame into three parts of different gray tones. The triangle in the center of the image emerges in all its beauty. Great image, Gary. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hali Sowle on 07/13/18 at 6:35 pm EST    
Registered on 01/09/08, 36 Posts, 582 Comments

Very arresting image, the shape, the textures and all those lovely tones.  I'll have to remember that technique, thanks for sharing Gary.

Hali
Northern Rhode Island

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Hali Sowle Gallery of Hali Sowle

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 07/14/18 at 11:52 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Lines, shapes, and gradients are marvelous.
Congrats on the EP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 07/19/18 at 8:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

There is such a wonderful sense of design to the composition. It is elegant without being imposing. I also love how the varying tones has been worked into the overall presentation. 

A real beauty!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership