Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tama Falls & Alternate
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 07/04/18 at 8:42 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 07/05/18 at 3:44 pm EST

Large View Available

One of the less photographed cascades / falls in NH White Mountains.  Heavy rains were forecasted last week so I figured it would be a good time to try and capture them.  Weather cleared earlier than I expected, so the flow was lower and skies were much clearer, the lighting more variable.  I waited around these falls for a couple of hours, hoping some clouds would move in to give some even lighting, but those opportunities were slim.  Around 1PM I noticed that the sun would be hitting pretty much only the right portion of the falls and leaving the surrounding forest largely in shade.  As the sun moved, the center and left part of the falls were illuminated by the sun.  So I decided to try and render this interesting spotlighting on the falls by taking a base exposure of the scene at low ISO and slow shutter speed which was good for the shadows and created a silky exposure for the water, though much of the brightest areas were blown out and detail-less.   I then took a much faster exposure when the sun lit the right portion of the water that had detail but some motion blur.  As the sun slowly moved the center and left were illuminated so I took an exposure while they were highlighted.  I combined these 3  exposures in post.  I did get a single exposure of the scene but the water looked a a bit dull when the sun wasn't shining on it. Possibly because it is a more gradual drop rather a nice vertical.  I don't think the image would have come out as well if the forest had dappled lighting - too distracting.  Interested in your thoughts to see if it worked.
D810, Tamron 15-30, partial polarization, base exposure ISO 200, f16, 0.7  sec.; water exposures ISO 320, f13, 1/8 sec.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 07/05/18 at 01:13 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is really great imo. The dappled light adds so much to the image. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this and the results do show it. The image has a certain liveliness to it that no processing of flat light could bring out. Good shutter speed for the water which has definition yet still shows rocks beneath it. I really like that glistening central rocks jutting out like that. It's the star of the composition. Every image needs a star. Some ideas: Would the image be stronger if the top greens were a bit warmer, more yellow? I would experiment with that. 2) There's what appears to be a large P in the right shadows. I don't know if it's worth bothering about. Could just be a fixation on my part. 

There's really a lot to see in this image. Some of the spray is leaping through sunlight on the right which creates beautiful arcs. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/05/18 at 1:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I think your attention to detail and your patience paid off with a very beautiful image, Harry.  The sunlight has created some very nice highlights in the flowing water. If you ever get back to this location on an overcast day I would be curious to see the end result for comparison. Being super picky; I could see toning down a couple of the highlights just a bit above center.  Anyway I think you made the sunlight work to your advantage.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/05/18 at 1:47 pm EST    

I think your attention to detail and your patience paid off with a very beautiful image, Harry.  The sunlight has created some very nice highlights in the flowing water. If you ever get back to this location on an overcast day, I would be curious to see the end result for comparison. Being super picky; I could see toning down a couple of the highlights just a bit above center.  Anyway I think you made the sunlight work to your advantage.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/05/18 at 3:41 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 07/05/18 at 8:50 pm EST

Thanks Ed - Here is a comp I made whe a cloud temporarily blocked the sun for a moment.  Only got a couple of shots off, but even lighting.  As you can see, the amount of water flow looks considerably more in the original post due to the lighting and the sun hitting the water.  Flow was identical in the 2 shots.  And since the shutter speed for the base image of the original post was longer, it tends to magnify the amount of water there.   A good example for those learning the art of shooting waterfalls the many factors that can come into play.  I tend to lesson the use of a polarizer when the lighting is flat to help show more of the water, as a little glare creates brighter areas which show the water that otherwise would be eliminated by a polarizer.

Thanks Igor - I'm not seeing the large P in the shadows? Dark wall shadows? or in the water somewhere?

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/05/18 at 6:32 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Ed Lowe on 07/05/18 at 6:33 pm EST

Harry,
I am surprised to hear myself say this, but I overwhelmingly prefer the first post with the sunlight striking the cascading water. It just seems to create some beautiful textures and details in the water. I do not recall ever taking an image of a waterfall other than overcast lighting conditions. I may have to rethink that policy. sad

Ed

Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/05/18 at 10:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I just read Ed's comments after the repost and my thoughts are the exact opposite. The golds of the repost are gorgeous to my eye and really make the image sing. Most excellent. The original is still quite nice, but for me, the repost all the way. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 07/05/18 at 10:48 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very dynamic, Harry.  I like your thought process in crafting this image.  Not sure it would even occur to me in the field to make those different exposures and SS.  I also really like the POV, low and in your face.  I'm not sure if the highlights on the left side of the image are doing it for me.  It almost looks like a dusting of snow in it's brightness and texture.  Something seems incongruent to me.   Other than that I love it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/06/18 at 8:42 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the bold near / far composition.  The lighting definitely gives this image work well.  I like the way that you rendered the water with just the right balance of texture and blur.  Great work handling the dynamic range as well.  Nicely done!  devil

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 07/06/18 at 9:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Definitely prefer the first image after a long consideration. There are often factors that make an image really good which you can't put your finger on. Factors you aren't even consciously aware of when you shoot but show up later on the screen. The second image is a more common, traditional approach to a cascade. But the way that slick rock juts out at you in the first shot has magic. It's the X factor you sometimes find without knowing full well how it's going to turn out. Just my opinion. 

Don't worry about the P.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership