Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Pemi + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 07/04/18 at 09:31 am EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 07/05/18 at 1:25 pm EST

Nikon D800
Nikon 35-70 @ 52 mm
f 18 @ 0.6 sec.
ISO 400
CPL
cable release & tripod
White Mountains, NH

There are many beautiful sections of the Pemigewasset River to photograph and I could spend all day there with the right conditions. This particular morning we got a little rain to bring out some wonderful colors in the wet granite and the surrounding forest. Mike and I got a couple of hours to shoot before the sun came out and we put away the cameras.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/04/18 at 1:53 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is nicely done, Ed.  I like how this tells the story of how the water has carved out this little alcove of the rock leaving the tree roots partially exposed.  The flow of the cascades is very photogenic and I like the balance of texture and motion in your exposure.  The green at the top of the frame adds some nice color.  As a minor nit, I did notice a couple of small leaves on the extreme left hand side about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom.  If it were mine I would consider cloning them. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 07/04/18 at 3:20 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like the feeling of this image. I agree with the comments that Brian has made so I won't go over them again.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/04/18 at 3:22 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Great alternate view of this location, Ed. Don't believe I've seen a shot from this angle. Agree with Brian about the leaves.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/04/18 at 7:48 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Nice work to get a shutter speed to hold detail in the river.  Maybe a slight crop or clone off the left for the intruding ferns. 

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 07/05/18 at 12:35 am EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Very nice.  I love the small pool and the forest.  For me, the very bottom bit of water is unnecessary, and the relationship between the falls and pool and eroded bank/exposed roots are the star of the show.  It might be worth playing slightly with the crop, depending on your vision, of course.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/05/18 at 1:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Here is a repost with the suggestions of cloning out those ferns intruding on the left; do not know how I missed that sad; and Marylynne's thought of a crop of some of the water from the bottom. Let me know what you think.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/05/18 at 6:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, I always love what some rain can do for images like this and you took good advantage of that here. It really brought out the color and textures in the granite rock and the greens of the woods. The falls looks really nice.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 07/05/18 at 10:26 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I thought the original looked very good, but the repost is excellent.  Good call from Marylynne on the crop suggestion.  Everything is a bit more in your face and that adds a ton of dynamism.  Very cool.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership