Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

White Mountains in B&W + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 06/29/18 at 3:53 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 06/30/18 at 08:11 am EST

Nikon D 800
Nikon 80-200 @ 80 mm
f 11 @ 1/500 sec.
ISO 250
CPL
cable release & tripod

The overcast light was a little flat, but the clouds were spectacular as was the view, so I was not about to pass the scene up. I decided to convert to a B&W to give the image a little more punch.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/29/18 at 6:20 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Nice b/w, ED.  I like how the sky seamlessly transitions to the landscape.  I would clone the brightest branches/stalks along the bottom edge, particularly the one just left of center.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Kennedy on 06/29/18 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 03/09/09, 79 Posts, 676 Comments

Hi Ed!  Very dramatic sky and the landscape compliments it very well.  I like the layers, both in the ground and the sky.  The B&W conversion is well done.  I agree with Gary about the bright spots in the foreground, but to me that's a very minor nit.  Nice capture!

Steve Kennedy
Maple Valley, WA
PNWNP Moderator

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Kennedy Gallery of Steve Kennedy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/30/18 at 08:10 am EST    

Thanks for for thoughts Gary and Steve; always appreciated. I had not noticed the bright limbs until you pointed them out and then I thought how did I miss them as they do draw the eye. Anyway here is a repost with them cloned out.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 06/30/18 at 11:47 am EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the layering in this scene, both in the clouds and in the mountains.  The big sky composition also works.  I do wonder how this would look if you bring out a bit more of the detail in the foreground vegetation.  I'm not sure how you process your black and white photos, but if you are using a black and white layer in PS you might bring up the yellow or green slider.  That might help add some lighter tones and contrast in the foreground. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/30/18 at 3:21 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/30/18 at 3:22 pm EST

I feel your B&W choice on this scene was a perfect selection overall, Ed. I could also buy in on the cloning of the bright branches? in the middle area. Otherwise.....spot on IMO....laugh

Edit: missed your revised image.......now it is spot on....enlightened

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/30/18 at 3:29 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, The repost is just  the ticket! All the layers in the hills and the clouds look wonderful. Pretty cool seeing this impressive run of b&w images.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 06/30/18 at 4:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Ed, I really like the layering here and the "look" of the image. Even though shot @ 80mm, it still has a open wide angle feel to it.  I think I spent too much time trying to zoom in @ 200.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 06/30/18 at 4:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Forgot to mention, I would probably dodge in the bottom a little.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/30/18 at 4:33 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everyone. Here is another repost with the FG treess lightened a little bit per Brian and my brother Mike's suggestion. Let me know what you think.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/02/18 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

You've got a fine sense of depth and wonderful layering here, Ed, in both the sky and the land.  It's easy to see why you couldn't pass this up.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/03/18 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

This view isn't usually rendered as  BW, but I like all of the layering and textures.  Great sky.  Might darken the upper edge a little, but very nice as is.  Wondering why the FG trees are so dark?  Was the lighting the cause or was that your conversion decision?

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/03/18 at 10:45 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts, Harry. I decided to convert to B&W because the lighting was so flat. There were a few highlights in the trees, but I think the conversion to B&W made them a little less prominent. Here is the color version for comparison.

Ed

Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/05/18 at 10:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice moody image with excellent depth.  I think it works equally well with the darker trees or the lightened version. The darker emphasizes the sky for me just a bit more, which works for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/08/18 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Ed - The color version which I guess you converted to BW looks a bit greenish yellow cyan?  Wondering how some color corrections to the color might effect the BW.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership