Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Storms
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 06/26/18 at 6:07 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

On my recent photo trip to Upper MI. and Lake Superior we had quite a storm through one night and the next morning. It made for a long an interesting night in my tent for sure. This was the sky early the next morning looking out over the lake near my campsite. The clouds and colors were impressive and I was glad to get a few shots of them. I also rotated this one 180 degrees and cropped off the water and it was very cool to look at. This one is the original shot of course. 
5DMK4, 70-300L lens @ 70, ISO 800, F/8, 1/50 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 06/26/18 at 10:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow, the colors are incredible. I've never seen the sky with those ultramarine colors. Love it. It has oil painting type of colors as from the romantic era. The clouds also look like a giant wave that's crashing. Very unique storm image in my opinion.I also like the dark water below, which may seem unimportant but with a lighter frame it may stand out more. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bruce King on 06/26/18 at 10:52 pm EST    
Registered on 01/14/10, 276 Posts, 2212 Comments

very unique and original image Nick. As Igor said the colors are amazing and I really like the abstract quality. The 180 flip is even more abstract and quite stunning. Awesome 

Bruce King
Bonney Lake, WA
"Mother Nature can be a cruel mistress and in pursuing our passions we are forced to court her." -B.K.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bruce King Gallery of Bruce King

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 06/26/18 at 11:05 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

This is fabulous, Nick.  I love how we lose a sense of what is land, sky, cloud, etc.  The soft s curve cloud looks like the rolling hills of  eastern washington or northern california, but its suspension above the sky makes the whole image very intriguing.  Well seen and well captured.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Kennedy on 06/27/18 at 01:04 am EST    
Registered on 03/09/09, 79 Posts, 676 Comments

This is very cool Nick!  When I first opened the image I thought it was posted upside down with the ocean wave above the sky.  Great effect and very well captured.  I hope you didn't get too wet during the night!

Steve Kennedy
Maple Valley, WA
PNWNP Moderator

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Kennedy Gallery of Steve Kennedy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/27/18 at 3:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Definitely a one-in-a-lifetime sky.  Glad you were there to capture it so nicely.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/27/18 at 8:43 pm EST    

Thanks so much to all of you for taking time to comment on this. Great getting your thoughts on it. It was quite a night but the morning made it worth it. Never saw clouds and colors quite like this before. Thanks, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 06/27/18 at 8:58 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Crazy sky indeed.  Very cool.  Could def see cropping this in to an abstract :)

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 06/28/18 at 8:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This is gorgeous Nick. There is so much movement and energy in the composition. The color and contrast have also been handled perfectly. It must have been a spectacular situation to witness in person but you have done a marvelous job in recreating some of that drama for us.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Neale Dyster on 06/29/18 at 06:20 am EST    
Registered on 02/19/08, 94 Posts, 738 Comments

Wow, sensational Nick, what a great sky.Kinda reminds me of Jupiter (not that I've been !).

Neale Dyster
Australia

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Neale Dyster Gallery of Neale Dyster

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/29/18 at 4:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Lots of drama and power in those clouds, Nick. The colors and light in this scene do have the look of an oil painting as Igor already mentioned. This is a unique and utterly fascinating image IMO. Glad you were able to stick it out and capture this for us to view.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/29/18 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

What a sky, Nick.  Love this.  I can totally get lost in this image.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 06/30/18 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

For a minute, I thought you were in West Texas, Nick!  enlightened

The sky is very dramatic and the eerie green glow in the clouds adds to the ominous feeling.  I like the sweeping lines in the clouds at the top of the frame. This is very different from your usual work, but I like it a lot.  Nicely done!  devil

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/30/18 at 3:17 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Wicked one here, Nick. This is an ominous looking site and would have a fair weather dude like me seeking cover.....sad
The minimal landmass and unobstructed horizon gives full compliment to the real subject of the menacing overhead sky.....frown

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ned Fenimore on 07/02/18 at 12:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 467 Posts, 2803 Comments

Great color in this sky!  Really out of the ordinary for sure!

Vancouver, Washington

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ned Fenimore Gallery of Ned Fenimore

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/02/18 at 08:11 am EST    

Many thanks to all of you for your comments on this one. It was quite a night and these conditions were just amazing early the next morning. Thank you, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/02/18 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

When I see green like this in the sky, I figure it's time to RUN for cover as a very nasty storm is coming...  The green/gold sky is a wonderful catch, Nick, with a fine sense of movement and some great structures in the clouds.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/02/18 at 2:18 pm EST    

Thanks Mark! I appreciate your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing...run, but make a picture first...frown Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 07/03/18 at 02:05 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Wow.  Spectacular!!  devil  'Nuff said.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/03/18 at 02:13 am EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

It's amazing how something so simple could be so dramatic.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/04/18 at 4:20 pm EST    

Genny and Michael, Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership