Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Renovation Project
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Man & Nature gallery on 06/26/18 at 05:25 am EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 07/06/18 at 09:43 am EST

Geocrab, Harris, Scotland

I've always liked the look of this old ruined house on the outskirts of tiny Geocrab but this was the first time I resolutely tried to find an angle on it that would do it's wonderful decaying colours and pattination justice. I needed a backdrop with equally earthy and vivid colours and on a sombre grey day with the flattest light imaginable not to mention a drenching dew laden mist, the colours screamed out and Velvia film extracted every ounce of the hues on offer. The square crop seems to emphasise it's ancient solidity.

Please view LARGE.. it's worth it.

Pentax 67II, 90-180 zoom, unfiltered, f/16 at 0.5 seconds. Fuji Velvia 50

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 06/26/18 at 11:57 am EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

I like this, Ian.  For me, what makes it work is the rock outcroppings in the background.  They echo the texture and tones of the exterior walls, and we can see the materials from which it was built and back to which it will decay.

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 06/26/18 at 12:03 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Excellent conditions resulting in a wonderful image. I don't think there is anything you could do differently to improve it. Have you included this home in other photographs?

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 06/26/18 at 2:37 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

I really like the fine earth tones and intriguing architecture, Ian. The red roof works beautifully with the rest. You don't mention the focal length, but I'm wondering if it would benefit from slightly more real estate on the RHS. Still quite nice as is though.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 06/26/18 at 3:59 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Aah yes Bill.  Well it would have been nice to show a bit more of the grounds on the right side alas a very large lime green modern plastic bunded oil tank would have been included.  Yeuchh!

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership