Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lupine Nights
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 06/22/18 at 9:39 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Some clear night in NH's White Mountains inspired me to try my hand a night photography.  Moving flowers made for a challenging time.  This was the first time I have ever composited a sky into a foreground, and found the process tedious and technically troubling.  Cutting and pasting a sky must be easy for some, but I'm sure I am going about it the wrong way.  The flowers and tree line were taken 1/2 hour after sunset so blending with the sky might be easier as the lighting would be similar. 5 images for focal stacked at f11, ISO 1000, 1/4 sec. to try and get sharp flowers in the breeze.  I left the camera set up and came back at midnight to shoot the sky.  I took a number of exposures at various ISO and between 20-30 sec. exposures.  I ended up using the exposure of 20 sec. at ISO 6400, f2.8.  I manually blended the sky into the FG focal stacked image.  I tried making some single shot images at f2.8 but was having difficulty with focusing, even when setting focus to infinity, which seemed to be a range on my Tamron lens.   Really didn't get the sharpness I wanted, so I tried a shot at f8 which turned out better.

I like night images to look like night or maybe twilight with a lot more stars, so that was what I was after in the processing.  Much easier to darken things than brighten and introduce noise.

D810, Tamron 15-30  f2.8

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 06/23/18 at 1:05 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Night images using up close objects like flowers is extremely difficult unless there is absolutely perfectly still conditions...
I also think using small apertures is almost impossible.
You final shot of 20 and iso6400  at 2.8 is really the only choice once it gets dark.
If I can I set focus to intermediate distance preferable before it gets too dark as I too think twilight and stars is the best combo and is much easier to work in that light.
I think this worked out well though, the blend looks good and it has the right amount of light for me.
If you can shoot at the right time at twilight when the stars are just coming out, wide open, high iso and short time can be easy with the right foreground.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/23/18 at 2:07 pm EST    

Thanks Dan - Will stick with twighlight when the FG is critical. Was having some sharpness issues when i was focussed at infinity for FG elements but they weren't as sharp as the stars . Maybe the infinity symbol on my lens isnt actually infinity.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 06/23/18 at 2:14 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

It really helps to know where the focus is on the ring. I practice with the manual focus in the daylight so I know
exactly where to set it. I use 2 different lens for night, a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and the Nikon 20mm f1.8.
The Rokinon lens is so easy to manual focus, it has a huge range. The Nikon is difficult, has to be exactly at the right spot.
So I would play around with your lens until focusing is easy.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 06/23/18 at 2:51 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Nicely done, Harry!  This definitely feels more like a night / twilight image.  I like the composition and your processing looks good to achieve the look you were going for. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 06/23/18 at 11:40 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Nice shot. Looks pretty natural to me. On my first attempt at night photography, I made the same error, ie assuming the infinity mark was accurate. came away with a bunch of blurry images. You definately have to check it out in the daytime.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/24/18 at 09:06 am EST    

Michael - I will definitely investigate infinity using live view - everything looks sharp in the dark - or light for that matter at 15mm and so-called infinity!  Thanks.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/25/18 at 09:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Harry, This is super cool looking. I really like how close the lupines are in the foreground and that sky looks just like one I saw last week in Upper Michigan. It was amazing to look at. I'm really enjoying the look and feel of this one. Nice work!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership