Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Union River
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 06/21/18 at 7:15 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is another picture I made last week while in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Area of upper MI. It was a windy and rainy day when I made this picture on the Union River. A lot of the wind was blocked in this area along the river but there was still movement in the leaves much of the time. I set the ISO at 250 for this shot but that still gave me an exposure of 1.6 seconds with a polarizer on and at F/11. With a 2 sec delay set on the shutter release it was a guessing game as to just when to fire the camera. It did stay pretty still for a few seconds once in awhile.
5DMK4, 24-105L @60, ISO 250, F/11, CPL.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 06/21/18 at 7:43 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Love the flow of the falls thru the frame and the framing of the falls by the nice saturated green foliage and moss covered rocks. A few questions though. Why were you not using a remote? Personal preference or forgot to bring it? Also, have you tried exposure blending for the leaf movement?

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barry Ashenhurst on 06/21/18 at 8:02 pm EST    
Registered on 08/04/09, 253 Posts, 455 Comments

Lovely scene Nick. Wish I'd been there.  And I don't mind the slight movement.

ARTIST'S STATEMENT: Wow, that's great! What is it?

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barry Ashenhurst Gallery of Barry Ashenhurst

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 06/22/18 at 05:28 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Great composition and wonderful dappled sunlight. I love how you handled the water. I would clone out the irrelevant white spots here and there. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/22/18 at 09:50 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Thanks Michael, Barry and Igor. I appreciate getting your thoughts on this! 
Michael, I have two camera bags and the remote was in the other bag back in my truck. I thought I had moved it into my new bag but had not. It is in there now! I usually like the 2 second delay but when things are moving the remote is the way to go. I haven't tried any exposure blending yet. Almost everything I do is one shot but I'm sure I will try it one of these days. Cheers! cool

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 06/23/18 at 2:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Hi Nick,
you handled the panorama format masterfully again in my opinion and thereby give me a wonderful sense of  flow and balance within the composition. It must have been a great experience to scout this place!

One minor suggestion would be to clone out the brighter brown twigs especially in the right half. The slight blurredness in the foliage does not bother me at all as the river is without doubt the main area of interest.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 06/23/18 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This cascading creek is very photogenic and you have captured it well here.  The lines of the flowing cascades give this some nice visual flow.  I also like the way that you used the trees to frame the cascades.  Very nice!  devil

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/23/18 at 5:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful waterfall scene, Nick. I love the way the greens pop. I would agree with Igor about cloning some of the white spots, but not a huge deal. Most enjoyable to view. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/23/18 at 8:40 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The meandering water brings me through the scene.  The water seems to have a slight green hue to it, maaybe from the light passing through the trees.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ned Fenimore on 07/02/18 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 467 Posts, 2803 Comments

I definitely like the slow shutter speed for that silky water look.  Nice framing by the trees, too!

Vancouver, Washington

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ned Fenimore Gallery of Ned Fenimore

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership