Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Quiet Stream
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 06/03/18 at 3:51 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 06/03/18 at 3:55 pm EST

I made this picture a couple of miles from my home at a place called Cruson Slough. I hiked a little farther down the stream than most people seem to go and found this spot that I enjoyed quite a bit. Shot early in the morning with some nice light and fog. I have photographed this area a couple of other times but this one is probably my favorite from here.
Canon, 24-105, ISO 100, f/16. Larger version included. Thanks for Looking and any thoughts.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Simon Rigby on 06/03/18 at 4:33 pm EST    
Registered on 05/31/18, 4 Posts, 12 Comments

Conveys a real feeling of a gloomy, close kind of a morning. It's lovely and sharp all the way through, until the mist starts enveloping the far trees. The fallen tree in the centre acts as a nice break, sort of splitting the image in half. The foreground below is clear, with great reflections of the nearby trees. Above, it's all hazy and mysterious. You've captured the mood really well. I wonder whether a lower perspective might have enhanced that sense of foreboding? Perhaps at the same level as the top of the grass.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Simon Rigby Gallery of Simon Rigby

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/03/18 at 6:05 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The mood here is wonderful, Nick.  There a great sense of peaceful contemplation, with the bright green spring grass and the fog hiding the distance.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 06/04/18 at 04:50 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

That's a cool scene.  I could see returning to get a range of light/condition here.  Very nice.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 06/04/18 at 11:39 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

I saw this on the home page and had to comment to compliment you on a wonderful scene well composed.devil Beautiful!

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 06/04/18 at 11:58 am EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

That;s very nice and relaxing, Nick.  I could hear the bullfrogs.

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 06/04/18 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

Despite a gray, almost gloomy-looking morning, there is a quiet and gentle peacefulness to this.  I like how the calm water disappears in to the fog, leading the eye deep in to the scene.  The trees and grass frame this nicely for a wonderful landscape composition.  No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/04/18 at 4:39 pm EST    

Simon, Mark, Aaron, Allen, Jeffrey and Lon, Thanks so much guys! Good getting your thoughts and so glad you enjoyed the mood. Thanks, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 06/07/18 at 12:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, first of all I like the atmosphere of this scene a lot. The lush greens complement the fog nicely. Furthermore, the shapes of the riverbanks make for a most interesting tension to my eye.

One technical suggestion: there is some slight chromatic aberration that could be easily fixed in my opinion. Only a minor matter to me of course.

Thanks for sharing!

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/10/18 at 5:59 pm EST    

Thanks Peter! I'm very glad you like it. I hope you guys are doing well. Heading to Upper Michigan and the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Area on Wed. for a photo trip. Just taking my tent and camera gear...looking forward to it! Hopefully get a couple of new pictures I like. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 06/13/18 at 11:45 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Sedate and beautiful. 

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 06/14/18 at 5:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 06/14/18 at 5:53 pm EST

This is gorgeous. The way the scene is presented it appears as if I am standing in the middle of the river. Unusual in a good way. The trees look wonderful, especially how the ones further back are softened by the fog. A tranquil scene. Beautiful in concept and execution.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jan Bostelman on 06/15/18 at 3:57 pm EST    
Registered on 04/09/18, 24 Posts, 34 Comments

i like the pastel feel in the distance it gives it a painters feel. I think worth the effort to see if more foggy effects earlier in morning and lower ground level angle as a alteration

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jan Bostelman Gallery of Jan Bostelman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/16/18 at 2:34 pm EST    

Kah, Anil and Jan, Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jay Levin on 06/19/18 at 12:13 pm EST    
Registered on 04/24/09, 21 Posts, 184 Comments

Hi Nick.  A beautiful atmospheric scene with lovely reflections and great depth.  I really like the mood.  A fine one.enlightened

Jay Levin
Farmington Hills, Michigan
www.pbase.com/drjaysel/profile

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jay Levin Gallery of Jay Levin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership