Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Goldfinch feeding
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 05/27/18 at 1:10 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 05/27/18 at 1:10 pm EST

This was taken about a week ago and I have not seen much feeding behavior since that time with the Goldfinches.  Last year I had many more feeding House Finches and Goldfinches in the neighborhood of my feeders.

Iso-800, 200-500 at 500 mm, F7.1, 1000th, tripod, fill flash at -0.7, -0.3 EV, D 500, overcast, Adobe camera raw 10.3, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 30%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 05/27/18 at 1:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Nice! You caught both at a great angle to show this behavior. None of our little ones have appeared yet here. 
The lichen adds a lot. Looks like pretty bright light that you handled well.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 05/27/18 at 1:51 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

This is a really great shot, David.  Perfect timing to catch the moment.  The perch with the lichen really adds to the shot.  I think I need to try fill flash on my shots of birds just outside my window with the wireless transmitter.  I like the lighting you get on these, looks natural, and you are getting great detail.  After the storms move through in the coming days though, not wanting to ruin a good flash! 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Charles Gangas on 05/27/18 at 3:52 pm EST    
Registered on 08/12/09, 544 Posts, 2414 Comments

Very nice feeding behavior David, and the perch and the background is very flattering to the birds. I think you could have gotten away with a little less flash here- something like -1.3 or -1.7FEC as I think the whites and bright yellows of the adult are a bit bright in the LP. devil 

Chuck Gangas
Stowe, Vermont

Thailand Photo Tours 
http://www.trogontours.net/thailand

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Charles Gangas Gallery of Charles Gangas

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 05/27/18 at 5:36 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Great detail and interesting feeding action. I like this as is, but an alternative would be to crop from the right to jus past the yellow lichen.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 05/27/18 at 9:19 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Hi David.  It's still too early for Goldfinch babies.  This is a male feeding a female as part of courtship behavior.  Most of ours haven't gotten that far in the game yet.  Since they're seed eaters, they have to wait a bit longer for the food supply to get to the point of supplying youngsters.  Nice poses in this image and one of your beautiful perches.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Debapratim Saha on 05/27/18 at 11:46 pm EST    
Registered on 02/04/18, 26 Posts, 101 Comments

A beautiful feeding interaction captured in a lovely setting, an amazing shot David!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Debapratim Saha Gallery of Debapratim Saha

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership