Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Peeking Out
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 05/21/18 at 3:56 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 06/01/18 at 10:41 am EST

This was taken at the shores of the Santiam River, Oregon. I'm not sure what it is but it's a bit thorny. It was peeking out of an overgrowth of vegetation among hornworts. That's why it's brighter than the rest of the foliage. I added some contrast to make that more obvious. This started out with an interest for the linear quality of the hornworts and went on from there. Actually, it started with images of the river but nothing good came out from that. This lay around in color for quite some time because it just wasn't compelling enough. But b&w added a new dimension to it which I like.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@55mm, f/18, iso 100, 1/6 sec, tripod

Looks like I got the name of the plant that looks like a chimney brush wrong. Can anyone identify it? They always grow around wet areas.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tim Gregory on 05/22/18 at 04:39 am EST    
Registered on 10/08/08, 24 Posts, 26 Comments

This is really good, really great use of black and white - it would look great hung on most walls, the sharp triangular shapes of the leaves has lots of impact, on the softer background - the contrast really makes this image work, I don't shoot flowers and never really have much interest in pictures of flowers - but this image really does catch my eye, really great work. 

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tim Gregory Gallery of Tim Gregory

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 05/22/18 at 05:09 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Splendid shot, love the repeating forms.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 05/22/18 at 10:30 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Igor, this is a lovely composition, and works very well in b&w. There is really nice detail in the brighter leaves, contrasting with the softness of the darker needles. A very small nit, but I would clone out the bright bit of leaf on the top edge, just left of center.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 05/23/18 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Igor, one possible suggestion would be to select the leaves and make them slightly brighter, and inverting the selection to make the background needles darker.  I think this would help separate the leaves from the needles.  I like what you saw here.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/23/18 at 11:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Igor! I agree about the clone suggestion, but real minor. Very John Sexton look to the image (a highest compliment in my book).  Very sweet!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 05/24/18 at 11:12 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Another beauty, Igor.  I too agree with the clone suggestion even though it is very minor it would be a definite improvement.  No other suggestions.  The leaves have a wonderful deep, silvery look that just draws me in.  I haven't seen the color version but I feel B&W was certainly the appropriate choice.  Well done.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 05/24/18 at 12:25 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Wonderful intimate, I like how the black and white toning conveys a sense of delicate crispness to those leaves. 

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/24/18 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, The larger version is a treat for me to view. A beautiful Fine Art image imo. Might clone the leaf tip at the top edge just left of center and then make a beautiful print! cool I like the processing on this!  Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 05/24/18 at 10:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

I like this very much. The B and W treatment is great, with the big leaves almost looking silvery. I might consider burning the upper right leaf more, though, to de-emphasize it more. The combination of these two kinds of plants is excellent.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barry Ashenhurst on 05/26/18 at 12:35 am EST    
Registered on 08/04/09, 253 Posts, 455 Comments

I like this Igor. Clean, crisp black and white, and as Harley said, very John Sexton. 

ARTIST'S STATEMENT: Wow, that's great! What is it?

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barry Ashenhurst Gallery of Barry Ashenhurst

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 05/26/18 at 2:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Igor: Really well seen and superbly processed and presented. The large version is marvelous. Many thumbs up! >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/26/18 at 7:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I don't really know Mr Sexton's work very well. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 05/28/18 at 3:00 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Igor, this is very effective and beautiful.  Very nicely composed.  Love the tonal differences.  I believe those "chimney brush" plants are Equisetum (horsetail).  Great work Igor.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 05/28/18 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 05/28/18 at 8:18 pm EST

This is interesting in two ways. I love the overall design of the composition. It is crisp, with wonderful lines and shapes. In addition, the low-key presentation has been used to great effect. The dark areas play an important role by providing depth to the scene and offering a good dose of mystery.

Well done!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Julia Flanagan on 06/07/18 at 5:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/03, 59 Posts, 986 Comments

Really lovely Igor.  Great treatment and actually reminds me of some of Ansel Adam's plant images. Love the textures.  I agree with the horsetail ID (Equisetum) for the 'chimney brush' plants, though I don't know which species.  Don't know the lobed leaf plant.

Julie

Julie
Bristow, Virginia
"How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." Ps.104:24.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Julia Flanagan Gallery of Julia Flanagan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership