Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Pool of Gold
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 05/18/18 at 3:47 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 05/23/18 at 8:37 pm EST

This is a pool in the Merced River that I found mesmerizing. I decided to include the granite rock and its shadow in the composition instead of making it a complete abstract of colors. This is that large pool on your right near the park entrance that everyone drives by. It's a beautiful body of water but the challenge that day was how to best show it off. This is what I came up with. Please let me know what you think.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 05/18/18 at 4:31 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

For me an interesting photo. The gray granite and the shadow add a interesting contrast to the gold and green colors . I can see how the swirling textures in the bottom right can have a hypnotic effect. Wondering if some of the harsher upper left colors can be filtered down a bit. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/20/18 at 1:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like this a lot. Excellent warm and cool tones and abstractness in the water. I would be inclined to crop the right side to eliminate the triangular rock coming in right center. Quite a nice take from Yosemite. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 05/20/18 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

I like the swirls of golds and greens in the reflection.  I wonder how just an abstract of the reflection alone would look and appeal, but then I like too how the rock gives a sense of place.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 05/22/18 at 12:30 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Outstanding, Igor.  I've viewed this 5-6 times over the past few days but have never had time to comment.  IMHO, this is one of your finest images. The inclusion of the rock really makes this for me.  Without it, it would just be another reflection shot; pretty but uninspired.  The rock adds an element of surprise and contrast, cool vs warm type of thing. I've played with using different shutter speeds quite a bit on reflection shots and there always seems to be one chosen shutter speed that stands out, and I think you have definitely captured it here.  Did you take several (or numerous) different speeds or just pick a lucky one for this?  Either way, this is masterful.  This image is an example of a photograph truly becoming fine art; we all want to say photography is art, but all too often we fall short.  This image does not fall short.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/22/18 at 01:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Well thank you Bill.
I never know how images will be received here. As you know, the grand landscape gets the most views and comments so I am reluctant to post many of my intimates. Some are pretty personal in that you have to be open to appreciate them. I felt that this was such an image. This was shot at 1/100 sec so it pretty much froze the moment. It was actually shot as a horizontal with rocks on the other side as well but that wasn't the best composition. I thought the rock and the shadow on the right was a bit confusing. Would the viewer see it as a rock and shadow? In the end I just liked the composition. Thank you for the compliments. I am glad you like it.

Harley, 
Cropping out on a vertical to remove that triangle, I feel, would make the image unbalanced in a negative way. I actually burned in that triangle because it was too bright and I couldn't crop it off. That's just my take on it. 

BTW, what is going on in this gallery? The views and comments have gone down in numbers.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 05/23/18 at 2:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This is truly one of the most beautiful and striking images I have seen on NPN in a long (long) time. The first thing that comes to mind is the interplay of strong contrasts. There are two distinct sides ... the water on the left and the rock on the right ... and their differences couldn't be highlighted in a better fashion. I love the difference in texture, color and intensity of light. Another aspect of this photograph is the tension where the water and rock meet. The dark sections provide a lot of visual impact.

I love what you have done here Igor. Awesome stuff!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 06/03/18 at 6:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

Extremely nice macro landscape, Igor!  I love the contrasts of colors and textures and including the rock was absolutely the right choice!  Good eye to see the possibilities and an excellent job of  bringing it all together to make this intimate masterpiece!  devil

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 06/04/18 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

Way late on this, but wanted to let you know that I love and really enjoy this image.  I appreciate you tempered the color/saturation in the reflection.  I also think you chose very well with not only including the granite, but also in how much you included - Just right.

Beautifully captured and processed, in all respects.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 06/04/18 at 7:49 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Nice work on this one, Igor.  I like the reflection and the sense of place provided by the granite.  Only a few places have water like that with trees that color and granite like that.  As a result, it feels like an intimate abstract that retains a sense of place.  Very nicely done.

The dark shadow feels very dark to me.  I'm not suggesting it needs to change, but the more I looked at it, the more unnatural the shadow felt.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a comment on how one viewer might move through the stages of viewing this image.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership