Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

High Waters
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 05/09/18 at 10:22 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 05/20/18 at 10:03 am EST

We have had a lot of rain in the last week and the Wisconsin River near my home has lots of water flowing. The river bottoms that I often photograph in are flooded now and that is what this picture is of. On this morning we had lots of fog so I decided I wanted to try and make a picture of the flooded bottoms and fog and do it in the early morning light. No hiking through the bottoms for awhile! 
5DMK4, 70-300L @ 130mm, ISO 50, F/11 and 1/25 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/09/18 at 10:52 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is real nice. I am really liking the high key presentation and the mood it creates. I might play with the top darker section and experiment with brightening it a bit. Not sure it won't look better as is, but it would be fun to play with. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/09/18 at 11:30 am EST    

Thanks Harley, It was quite a bit darker above that layer of fog so I kind of wanted to keep that as it was. I'm not sure either if brightening it would be better but as you say it might be a fun one to play around with. Thanks much for your comment and thoughts on it. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 05/09/18 at 1:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Love the high key look here. My personal preference would be to leave it as presented.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 05/09/18 at 5:17 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Certainly makes for unique conditions.  Very cool.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/09/18 at 6:56 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This looks very familiar, Nick.  When MD gets lots of rain (or melting snow) the back water of a local water supply lake look very much like this with willows that are normally near the river/lake edge having their trunks submerged.  The back lighting showing off the very young leaves and creating near silhouettes of the trunks looks great as does the glow off the water.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 05/09/18 at 8:55 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

This has a mysterious, yet warm, spring-like feel to it.  I like how you handled the light here.  The light green leaves are nicely backlit, and the fog give this lots of depth. There's just a good feeling to this.  Nice.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 05/10/18 at 09:47 am EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

This works very well.  I like both the high key presentation and the granularity of the light in the upper portion especially. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 05/10/18 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Very interesting textures in the leaves and dark trunks at the top of the image. Looks like a hard grad filter with that defined separation of tones. I would want to see more detail out of the bottom right area. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/10/18 at 2:36 pm EST    

Thanks much to all of you for taking time to comment and giving me your thoughts on this.
Stephen, I can see that line looking like it could be from a grad filter as you mentioned, but it is just the difference in light from the fog layer that streaked across the water which I found pretty interesting.  
Thanks all, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 05/11/18 at 4:17 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The fog and high key lighting has certainly created a magical scene, Nick. I particularly like those back lit leaves up top as they stand out nicely against the slightly darker BG. I think this would make a lovely print.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 05/12/18 at 5:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Nick, to me you've peaked the brightness at a perfect level and not being so harsh you cannot see surrounding close detail. I also like the upper area and the collection of smaller leaf clusters there.
Interesting about the upper darkness. Almost looks like a grad there but not a nit at all.......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/12/18 at 6:14 pm EST    

Thanks Ed and Paul for the comments. Nice getting your thoughts.
Paul, Stephen mentioned the same thing about looking like a grad line...and it does look like it could be from one. Actually it is just the difference of light at the top of the fog layer. It was bright where the early light was hitting the fog and darker where there wasn't any fog, or very light fog. Kind of a cool effect I thought. I'm glad you you guys liked it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 05/20/18 at 1:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Gorgeous light, mist, perspective, and colours - congrats on the WP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/28/18 at 7:25 pm EST    

Thanks Sandy! I very much appreciate that! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership