Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Northern Flicker liftoff
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 05/06/18 at 7:01 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 05/08/18 at 6:17 pm EST

I was in the process of trying to take pictures of smaller birds taking off from one of the perches near my feeders.  I was really lucky to catch this Flicker.  Can't do much about the shadow behind the head although I tried and it just didn't look right.  Taken around 9 AM

Iso-3200, 600 mm, F7.1, 5000th, tripod, -0.3 EV, fill flash at -0.3, D 850, DxO photo lab, Adobe camera raw 10.3, TK sharpening action at 35%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jerry Austin on 05/06/18 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 01/06/12, 651 Posts, 3448 Comments

Pretty awesome timing. If you had a little mote room all around, that would be nice.

Jerry Austin
Fort Worth, Texas

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jerry Austin Gallery of Jerry Austin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 05/06/18 at 10:17 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Great timing to catch it at the point of takeoff David.  It feels just a bit awkward to me due to the angle of the takeoff straight ahead. Specs, color, details, BG, everything else is spot on.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 05/07/18 at 08:29 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Birds often start flight by diving from its perch to gain speed for lift off.  I like frozen pose before the wings get opened up for flight. well done.......................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 05/07/18 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Super sharp and the bird really pops from the background in the larger version, David.  Great timing!

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kurt Bowman on 05/07/18 at 10:23 pm EST    
Registered on 06/19/08, 1005 Posts, 8028 Comments

I like the decision to go with the pano crop here David. Nice pose showing some good movement. 

Kurt Bowman
Sahuarita, AZ

" The world owes a great debt to all those who have, from a state of exceptional awareness, preserved stillness for us to hold." - Dan Winters

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kurt Bowman Gallery of Kurt Bowman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 05/08/18 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

I like this a lot David. Very cool "frozen" action shot with nice colors and detail. Large version is great!

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership