Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

AuTrane Woods & River
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 04/24/18 at 10:47 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 04/25/18 at 11:06 am EST

This is a picture I made last fall on October 1st in Upper Michigan along the AuTrane River. The colors were starting to warm up some but we were ahead of the color overall. The AuTrane River is an area that I really enjoy and always look forward to spending some early morning time there. Will be back there this fall again and hopefully get more fall color this time. Color or not still a wonderful area! I had been shooting some long exposures with the water and had a 6 stop ND filter on plus an ISO of 50 thus the long 15 second exposure. I didn't really need that combination for this shot but tried it anyway and actually liked it. There is a little movement in the leaves over the water in the lower right but I decided that didn't bother me much. I didn't re-shoot  it at a faster shutter speed so this was the only version of this shot I have. Larger version included for best view. Thanks for looking. Nick
5​DMK4, 50mm, ISO 50, F/20, 15 sec. 6 stop ND.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 04/24/18 at 5:41 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

You have made a nice clean image in a place where it could be very chaotic, the north woods. I like the soft tones and the contrast between the brown of leaves on the ground and the green of the living foliage. Another very nice image. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 04/24/18 at 11:28 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like this scene, Nick.  The foreground trees provide an anchor for the composition and give a sense of depth to the scene.  It's interesting that you chose to feature the stream in more of a supporting role.  I think it works though.  I did notice the movement in the leaves, but it's not so much that I feel it detracts from the image. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/26/18 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice look from the dark to the light, working nicely for me. Moving leaves are really minor overall. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/26/18 at 7:26 pm EST    

Thank You, Richard, Brian and Harley. Nice to get your thoughts on this and I appreciate your comments. Thanks, Nick.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/27/18 at 6:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a nice woodland scene. I might bring up the shadows just a tad.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 04/29/18 at 5:56 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

At first, I thought the tree trunks in the FG were too dark, but I changed  my mind, because they lead the eye so well out into the bright spot behind. It really adds depth and a feeling of being IN the woods to this. Nice. Looking at this on a tablet, so this is really just an overall impression, as I cannot see the detail on this relatively small screen, but I like how it leads my into the image.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/30/18 at 09:18 am EST    

Igor and Genny, Thank you for your comments! Much appreciated! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership