Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Is a Puzzlement + 1
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 04/21/18 at 12:07 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 04/26/18 at 07:14 am EST

This is a close up of the dry mud that forms the Alvord Desert in Eastern Oregon. Flat as a billiard table, people drive across this bed during the dry months. This was shot during the early morning with some enhancement to the blues. I like this part of Oregon for it's remoteness. I've taken several images in this area that haven't been posted. Please let me know what you think. 

Canon 6D, 24-105@47mm, ISO 100, f/8.0, 1/60 sec, CPL, tripod

Changed:  title to a R&H song in musical 'The King and I' - https://vimeo.com/45346724

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 04/21/18 at 12:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Igor: Well seen, composed and captured. I really like the pastel color palette and the finer details in the larger version. Most excellent.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 04/21/18 at 5:03 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Igor, I really like the subject and how you framed it. Your color treatment in post works nicely with a harmonious mix of warm and cool. I love abstract images like this, because often one can have it framed, and then rotate it to suit before hanging it one the wall. Good story behind it, too. Looks like you used a wide angle, but you don't mention it. Excellent work.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Neale Dyster on 04/21/18 at 8:51 pm EST    
Registered on 02/19/08, 94 Posts, 738 Comments

Yes, well spotted Igor. Love the shapes and colours in this.

Neale Dyster
Australia

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Neale Dyster Gallery of Neale Dyster

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 04/21/18 at 10:06 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Looks like a poorly made jigsaw puzzle. Good abstract. I've never seen a playa lake, only read about them. Interesting. Is the stuff under the dried mud usually mucky?

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/21/18 at 10:28 pm EST    

I have never seen it after the rains. I noticed that one end of the flat was much wetter than the others. This dry lake is right next to the Steen Mountains so I imagine that some water drains off to the lake. In fact you can get stuck on that side. I found the mud where it transits from dry to wet to be most interesting photographically. As you can see there is a lot to chose from

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 04/21/18 at 10:40 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Well seen.  Maybe slightly too much blue/cyan for my personal pref but works well here.  Fun with mud :)

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/22/18 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a fine looking abstract, Igor.  The reflected blues set off the gold/browns very nicely and the pattern is well balanced.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 04/22/18 at 2:00 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Igor, I like the play of the blues with the rust colors in your intimate scene.  Offered suggestions would be to shift the cyan/red color balance towards the reds, and add just a little contrast.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/22/18 at 2:37 pm EST    

Another version with less cyan based upon some suggestions. Much of this is based upon taste. You may like this more.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 04/22/18 at 3:46 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Personally I think that the cyan works for this image.  The lines in the image work well with the framing of the composition. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 04/22/18 at 9:11 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

I like your original version the best as the cyans pick up the yellows in the dried mud.  Well done.................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 04/24/18 at 12:35 am EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Nicely seen and captured puzzle you found, Igor. I like the cyan version better myself. Great textures, lines, and colors. It's fun to imagine all kinds of shapes within it.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/24/18 at 08:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great patterns and color. I prefer the original post. The cyan works well for me here (says the cyan Nazi). 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/24/18 at 1:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is really cool looking. Pretty amazing what dry mud can produce including the colors. I like the original best!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 04/25/18 at 2:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A very beautiful and compelling design ... a fascinating study of patterns and texture in nature. It is interesting to note that the cracks in the mud are of varying thickness. The color palette is nice and yet subdued. 

Very nice work on this one Igor.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership