Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Open wide!
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 04/18/18 at 4:40 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 04/21/18 at 8:43 pm EST

A Spotted Towhee exercising its calling behavior or following the commands of its dentist...

iso 1600, 200-500 at 500 mm, f7.1, 640th, tripod, -0.3 /ev, fill flash at -0.7, D500, DxO Photo Lab, ACR 10.3, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 35%   ( yes the black plumage looks oversharpened but this doesn't change if no sharpening is applied.)
Overcast at time of exposure.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 04/18/18 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Needs to get another dentist—no teeth! sadExcellent processing on this classic 3/4 turn. The calling pose and the perch are more pluses. No nits, just a question: You said "yes the black plumage looks over-sharpened but this doesn't change if no sharpening is applied." You also said "TK sharpening action at 35%". Seems to me you sharpened it.wink Actually, it looks very good to my eye!

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nate Chappell on 04/18/18 at 5:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/06, 1158 Posts, 19528 Comments

Excellent singing pose and details David devil

Nate Chappell
Avian Gallery Moderator
Texas and Ecuador

BIRD PHOTOGRAPHY TOURS AND WORKSHOPS-SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nate Chappell Gallery of Nate Chappell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 04/18/18 at 7:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Phil; regarding the sharpening, this image has TK action at 35%.  The default is 50%.  The black plumage seems a little over sharp without the addition of the TK action but that probably is related to the texture of the individual feathers and the contrast brought out by the fill flash.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Max Waugh on 04/18/18 at 10:50 pm EST    
Registered on 09/26/08, 428 Posts, 2329 Comments

This is great.  Really like seeing the red inside the mouth, which is echoed in the legs and the bark a little.

Max

Upcoming Tours: Yellowstone | Tanzania | Costa Rica | Patagonia | Great Bear Rainforest     

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Max Waugh Gallery of Max Waugh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Kellermeyer on 04/19/18 at 07:56 am EST    
Registered on 03/19/13, 52 Posts, 161 Comments
Comment last edited by Bill Kellermeyer on 04/19/18 at 1:05 pm EST

Love the pose and expression. The detail and BG look great to me. Very nice.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Kellermeyer Gallery of Bill Kellermeyer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 04/20/18 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

David this is great!  I agree with Phil perfect 3/4 turn. 

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kurt Bowman on 04/20/18 at 10:53 pm EST    
Registered on 06/19/08, 1005 Posts, 8028 Comments

Nice calling pose you managed David. These guys aren't out in the open much. Great job! BTW, I don't think it looks over sharpened.

Kurt Bowman
Sahuarita, AZ

" The world owes a great debt to all those who have, from a state of exceptional awareness, preserved stillness for us to hold." - Dan Winters

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kurt Bowman Gallery of Kurt Bowman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hans Overduin on 04/22/18 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 08/31/11, 491 Posts, 3807 Comments

Excellent moment captured ! Love the singing pose, and the eye pops out very nicely. Never seen this bird, looks beautiful. Cheers, Hans

Hans Overduin
Den Haag, The Netherlands
www.hansoverduin.nl

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Hans Overduin Gallery of Hans Overduin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/22/18 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Excellent, David.  Great calling pose and beautiful detail.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 04/25/18 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

I'm getting caught up David. This is a really sweet capture of this Towhee. Fantastic detail and I don't think it looks over sharpened at all.

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership