Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Winter Swan
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Avian gallery on 04/18/18 at 02:13 am EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Some Swans stay over all winter in Alaska, in the open water of quiet spots in the rivers, or at lake outlets where there is open water.  I got several photos of some swans, and I was surprised at how close they came to me.  I walked out onto the snow and ice on the bank, and as they moved around feeding, several of them came quite close to me, much closer than they ever would in summertime.
I liked this having the rocks in this image, rather than just plain water, although I was not completely happy with the OOF snow and rock in the FG.

5d mkii, 100-400L at 400mm, ISO 800, 1/400 sec, f 14
Cropped slightly.
Comments always appreciated.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 04/18/18 at 3:24 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

Nice. I like the rock to swan to rock diagonal. In hindsight, blending two images might be feasible to get sharpness throughout.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 04/18/18 at 7:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

I like the mood in this photo.  I also appreciate the textures in the snow and the white plumage of the swan.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/22/18 at 9:57 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

An interesting image, Genny.  I like the composition and the rock behind the bird's head fits very well with the flow of the bird itself.  I'm unsure about the contrast between the warm lighting on the swan and rock and the blue shadows of the foreground.  To my eye, they conflict a little.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership