Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rainy Northern Flicker
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 04/15/18 at 11:38 am EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 04/15/18 at 11:40 am EST

This Northern Flicker visited in a downpour the other day.  I don't see the male very often compared to the females so I took advantage of its visit.  This appears to be another record rainfall year in the Pacific Northwest.  As of yesterday, we already had over 5 1/2 inches of rain in April, three times more than normal.  In fact yesterday we had an inch and 1/2, beating the record for that date by more than 50%.

Iso-1600, 200-500 at 370 mm, F7 .1, 800th, -0.7 EV, fill flash at -0.7, tripod, D 500, DxO Photo Lab, Adobe camera raw 10.3, TK sharpening action at 35%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Skip Layman on 04/15/18 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 558 Posts, 1704 Comments

Love the fine detail in this shower scene.  I would be tempeted to crop this to a square format, but that's just a personal preference.
If you don't want all your rain, please send some down to Colorado.

Skip Layman
Colorado Springs, CO

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Skip Layman Gallery of Skip Layman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Charles Gangas on 04/15/18 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 08/12/09, 544 Posts, 2414 Comments

Excellent detail and sense of habitat David, nice to see a sliver of the red underwing as well- different from the  yellow  underwing of our variation here in the Northeast.

Chuck Gangas
Stowe, Vermont

Thailand Photo Tours 
http://www.trogontours.net/thailand

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Charles Gangas Gallery of Charles Gangas

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hans Overduin on 04/15/18 at 3:22 pm EST    
Registered on 08/31/11, 491 Posts, 3807 Comments

Excellent ! I always love raindrops in pictures, nicely done ! Of course, the Flicker is beautiful as well ! Cheers, Hans

Hans Overduin
Den Haag, The Netherlands
www.hansoverduin.nl

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Hans Overduin Gallery of Hans Overduin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Kellermeyer on 04/15/18 at 3:54 pm EST    
Registered on 03/19/13, 52 Posts, 161 Comments

Wonderful image. The detail is just fantastic. I agree with Skip in that I would move the flicker a little right. Very nice

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Kellermeyer Gallery of Bill Kellermeyer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/15/18 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

I thought it seemed a trifle damp lately.  Excellent rendition of hte rain drops and superb detail in the flicker, David.  The fine feathers on the chin are particularly impressive.  Well done.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Avi Hirschfield on 04/16/18 at 07:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 518 Posts, 2114 Comments

WONDERFUL
The rain drops really add to this already great shot

Creativity is GOD'S gift to us.
Using our creativity is our gift to other's.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Avi  Hirschfield Gallery of Avi  Hirschfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mike Ramy on 04/16/18 at 09:55 am EST    
Registered on 06/16/12, 567 Posts, 2809 Comments

Hey David,
Very nice capture of a very cool subject . . .  laugh

Mike Ramy
Douglasville, Georgia
'Have boat will Travel'

About Me
Photo Touring by Boat and Guide Services information HERE
Florida Spring Break Tour 2018 information HERE

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mike Ramy Gallery of Mike Ramy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kurt Bowman on 04/16/18 at 8:54 pm EST    
Registered on 06/19/08, 1005 Posts, 8028 Comments

The long rain drops really add some movement and mood to this one David. Love the mossy perch too! Good work!

Kurt Bowman
Sahuarita, AZ

" The world owes a great debt to all those who have, from a state of exceptional awareness, preserved stillness for us to hold." - Dan Winters

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kurt Bowman Gallery of Kurt Bowman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership