Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fog in the River Bottoms
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 04/15/18 at 09:47 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 04/15/18 at 3:13 pm EST

This past week we had a couple of pretty rainy and foggy mornings so once again I headed into the Wisconsin River Bottoms that I so much enjoy with those conditions. On Thursday morning I hiked deeper into the bottoms that I had ever gone before and absolutely loved it. With everything wet and lots of fog it was so wonderfully quiet and mysterious. It took time before I came upon this scene  and some of the fog had lifted by then, but I knew I wanted to shoot this once I came up with a composition I liked and thought was interesting.
I posted this a couple of days ago but then noticed it needed a bit more work so took it down as long as there were no comments on it yet. The top left corner had a small branch going across it that I wanted to remove and had overlooked it. Got that done now so wanted to put it back up here. 
It was a fantastic morning and I only made a couple of shots but totally enjoyed it!
5DMK4, 24mm, ISO 100, F/16 at 1/6 sec. Larger view works much better. Thanks!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 04/15/18 at 2:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Nick, I really like the fog, dry grasses and ghostly trees in the background...but, for me, the downed branches in the foreground obstruct the gorgeous reflections in the creek.  Great location for more photo adventures.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/15/18 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Another fine, moody view, Nick.  The contrast in the larger view really brings this view to life.  The fallen trees are such an integral part of this kind of small stream, I like their inclusion.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 04/15/18 at 4:28 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like this image, Nick.  It is moody, yet also peaceful at the same time.  Interestingly, I'm not sure I would usually be a fan of the fallen branch in the foreground.  However, it seems to work for this image to add depth.  Nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/15/18 at 5:21 pm EST    

Thanks guys! Appreciate getting your thoughts.
Reno, For me the foreground branch was an important part of this composition and I really wanted to include it for some added interest and depth. I also understand your thinking about how it obstructs the reflections so I guess that was a draw back of including it. A good point and thank you.cool
Mark and Brian, Thanks much for taking time to comment! Cheers, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Neale Dyster on 04/15/18 at 9:06 pm EST    
Registered on 02/19/08, 94 Posts, 738 Comments

Great image Nick, I like the way the eye is lead to the "infinite" fog in the distance. Great mood in this one.

Neale Dyster
Australia

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Neale Dyster Gallery of Neale Dyster

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/16/18 at 12:26 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I agree that the fg branch makes this comp more unique and expressive. The way it twists upon itself tells us how the author feels about the atmosphere of this scene. I like it.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 04/16/18 at 08:35 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I never tire of seeing your images. Your vision and technique always create a mood that draws me into the image. This reminds me very much of some places I grew up exploring in Iowa. When you create that kind of feeling in a person looking at the image they become a part of the image. I just won best in show with a image I shot of the eclipse and that is what the judge said is that it brought back the whole experience to her. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/16/18 at 09:34 am EST    

Neale, Igor and Richard, Thanks much for your comments! I'm very glad you liked this.
Richard, Congrats on your Eclipse image! Sounds Great. Thank you for your kind words as well. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 04/16/18 at 3:49 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Having or not having those branches in the FG really changes the feeling of the image, I think.  With them in there, it is a study in depth and detail, and the contrast between them and the soft, foggy BG.  If the branches were NOT in there, I think for me, the whole feeling would be much softer, more moody, and focused on curves of the water and that wonderfully soft fog.
I like it as is and suspect I would like it without the branches, too.  Wonderful job of finding this, and masterful job of taking and processing the image. devil

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/17/18 at 6:42 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 04/17/18 at 6:44 pm EST

I love the mood and detail you have captured here Nick.  The light and reflection are outstanding!  I like how the foreground branches, reflection, and forest tress are all intertwined.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 04/20/18 at 3:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, you handled the panorama format masterfully again in my opinion. The foreground branches add a lot of interest for me, especially as they are somehow repeated by the branches in the midground. I also appreciate your processing, it gives me a very natural feel of the scene.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/20/18 at 4:43 pm EST    

Genny, Eva and Peter, Very much appreciate getting your thoughts on this. I'm glad the three of you liked it. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 05/02/18 at 3:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A little late to the party ... but I sure am glad that I didn't miss out on this one. 

What a gorgeous scene. There is drama and mystery and at the same thing an inviting feel about it. All the fine branches provide a great deal of complexity, which in my opinion is what makes this photograph special. The fog pulls everything together by softening things just the right amount. I love the overall darkness that you have maintained.

One of your best Nick!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/03/18 at 7:06 pm EST    

Anil, I so much appreciate getting your comment and reading your thoughts on this one. I love the Wisconsin River Bottoms and trying to capture the look and mystery they present me. A long wet hike that morning and I totally enjoyed it.. and this is one of my favorites as well. I plan on doing a special exhibit eventually with just my images capturing the mysterious moods of these river bottoms in all seasons. Can't thank you enough for the inspiration and support from your comments over the last few years. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership