Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Yellow Rump Warbler
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 04/08/18 at 12:45 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 04/21/18 at 8:43 pm EST

This appears to be a Yellow Rumped Warbler of the Myrtle variety.  This is the first time I've ever seen one around my house.  It showed up two days ago and did not return yesterday.  It was solitary.  According to Sibley, this bird is more common in British Columbia and not very common in the   Western area of North America.

iso 1000, 200-500 at 500 mm, F8, 800th, D 500, -0.3 EV, fill flash at zero, tripod, 70% of full frame, DxO photo lab, Adobe camera raw 10.3, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 30%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 04/08/18 at 1:44 pm EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

Nicely composed.  I like the balance between the bird and the moss/lichen and both show nice detail.

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/08/18 at 2:39 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

I've never been able to remember the difference between the Myrtle and Audubon's varieties, so I just stick with Yellow-rumped.  Excellent perch and exceptional detail in the plumage, David.

I have them around here but rarely seem to get a usable image.  Oddly they like to hang with the Bluebirds, particularly in the winter.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Kellermeyer on 04/08/18 at 4:37 pm EST    
Registered on 03/19/13, 52 Posts, 161 Comments

Love the pose bg and detail. Every time I think I have new warbler in Florida it tuns out to be Yellow Rump

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Kellermeyer Gallery of Bill Kellermeyer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 04/08/18 at 5:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Comment last edited by David Schoen on 04/08/18 at 5:07 pm EST

I don't see very many Warblers around my place and they don't stick around.  I thought this was difficult to ID because there are so many subtle varieties in the Yellow Rumped variety.  Sibley appears to be a rather good resource.

Here is an alternate view.  It appears to me it might be molting, also contributing to ID difficulties.  But it had been raining yesterday when I took this photo.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim DeWitt on 04/08/18 at 10:37 pm EST    
Registered on 08/28/06, 1240 Posts, 8506 Comments
Comment last edited by Jim DeWitt on 04/08/18 at 10:38 pm EST

Very cool comp, David. Excellent detail. Clearly a wet bird.

This does look like the Myrtle subspecies, Coronata, as opposed to the Audubon which is more common in these parts. We would occasionally get one in Alaska, and the occur regularly here in Idaho.

Jim DeWitt
Frozen Feather Images
Boise, Idaho

Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care.
       - Terry Pratchett

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim DeWitt Gallery of Jim DeWitt

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 04/09/18 at 10:41 am EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

David, you've really got these backyard birds dialed in.  Really nice detail and color, not to mention a fantastic perch and BG.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 04/09/18 at 5:05 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

Nice inquisitive pose David and the perch & background make this a sweet image.

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership