Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Drumrunie Sublime
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Landscape gallery on 04/02/18 at 05:39 am EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 04/16/18 at 1:32 pm EST

Drumrunie, Inverpolly, Scotland

There are some images you take that you just cannot wait to see as you feverishly tear open the envelope and your transparencies tumble out onto a lightbox, well they do if you are a film user.  I had been anticipating these pictures back and I am happy to say they didn't disappoint.  I thought I'd round off with some final winter images from a recent trip courtesy of the so called "Beast from the East". This is a once in a decade event and according to the locals thay had never seen so much snow in Inverpolly in fact a snow blower had to be hired to clear the 25 foot snow drifts that had built up at the roadside.  Some of the roads that were cleared resembled tunnels in the snow.  Sublime circumstances and happily I was able to take advantage of them in the first hour of access.

Please view LARGE.. it's better
Pentax 67II, 55-100 zoom, f/16 at 1/15 second, Fuji Velvia 50

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 04/02/18 at 09:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ian, it looks like you managed to take full advantage of these unusual conditions.The composition here is excellent, with a great sense of depth. The foreground is spectacular with all the diagonal lines in the wind-blown snow. I also like your processing of the light on the spotlit mountains in the background. My only suggestion would be to add a slight bit of clarity or mid-tone contrast to the clouds in the sky, but that is a nit, this is a really nice image as presented.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/02/18 at 10:41 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ian, They sure didn't disappoint!! This is absolutely wonderful. I love this composition showing off this beautiful snowy scene. The conditions you captured here are just fantastic! Awesome work. Cheers!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephanie Murphy on 04/02/18 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 10/18/17, 24 Posts, 56 Comments

Yes! The larger image reveals the full magnificence of this scene. 

Stephanie Murphy
”Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known” (Reporter Sharon Begley in interview with Carl Sagan)

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephanie Murphy Gallery of Stephanie Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 04/03/18 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

That windswept V of snow makes a great lead-in.  You caught nice soft light and baby blues too.  Maybe brighten to group of dark rocks on the right as a small suggestion?

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/03/18 at 12:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

You took full advantage of the unusual conditions. I really like the edges of snow leading out into the scene. Fine wintery image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 04/03/18 at 1:16 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Wonderful lines leading down to the lake. Glad no one trashed the pristine snow getting to the lake.  That is always one of my biggest winter fears when shooting this type of image.  Had it done to me in Iceland and had to figure a way to workaround.  The atmosphere of the clearing storm  with the subtle spot lighting is another nice detail to the image.  Really nice work.  An essentially white image, absence of color, never looked so good.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 04/03/18 at 4:12 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

This is lovely Ian.  I really like the lines leading down to the lake.  Very nice sky and mountains behind to back it all up.  Great work with all that white.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 04/03/18 at 7:45 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I really like the shapes of the snow drifts in the FG to lead your eye into this image.  Also just love the whites and blues!!  So pure and clean. There is a feeling of crisp, clear air on a winter day.  Just lovely, I wouldn't change a thing.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 04/04/18 at 04:47 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

That is  very cool scene!  Way to get out there and take advantage.  My brain keeps wanting to pull the comp to the left to put that snow ridge in the brc but see why you didnt (to keep the peak back right corner).  Still wondering...  So cool though.  weee!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 04/08/18 at 5:20 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is nicely done, Ian.  The sweeping compositional lines in the foreground pointing to the tarn in the middleground works well.  The foreground lines also compliment the shape of the background mountains.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/11/18 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The foreground lines pull me right into the stunning scene Ian.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 04/12/18 at 12:41 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I can understand your excitement about this one. That sweeping foreground, leading to the partially frozen lake and the light on the peaks make this one of the most perfect winter landscapes I've seen.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership