Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Path at Cave Point
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Man & Nature gallery on 04/01/18 at 2:20 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 04/16/18 at 1:33 pm EST

This is an older image that I just reprocessed for some new prints I want to make. I made the picture a few years ago in Door County, WI. In the early morning I headed out to Cave Point along the Lake Michigan shoreline. There was quite a bit of fog which was great and especially nice when the light started breaking through. When I came to this spot I just knew I wanted to make a picture with the path splitting apart. I shot this with my Canon 1Ds MK2 and the 17-35 F2.8 L which was my main camera and lens combination at that time for landscapes. The maintenance cartridge on my big printer is full right now but when I get the new cartridge on Tuesday I should be ready to print this. Thanks for looking and any thoughts.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 04/01/18 at 2:30 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

Wonderfully dreamy. And great control over the tone range.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/01/18 at 6:48 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 04/11/18 at 12:40 pm EST

Great lead in to stunning light Nick.  Lovely luminosity of the plants along the pathway.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 04/01/18 at 7:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Magical, mystical image!
Sweet light and perfect detail.
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 04/01/18 at 9:32 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Really pretty light and mist in this one Nick. I like the split in the trail. Nice mood.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 04/01/18 at 9:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Lovely light, mysterious mood, and curious split in the trail since it looks like a loop. Nicely done. Should look great as a print.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 04/02/18 at 12:51 am EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Excellent light and color, Nick. I like how the narrower path to avoid the deadfall created a fork in the road. Good stuff well composed.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/02/18 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Another great image, Nick. there is a somewhat green overall cast to this image that gives it a storybook feel. The comp is really good. You could title this 'the road not taken'. Love the glow in this image. Very little to suggest. perhaps burn in the light area of tree trunk on left border? 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/02/18 at 6:34 pm EST    

Thanks to all of you for your comments on this one. Much appreciated and so glad you have liked it. Got my printer maintenance cartridge a day early so ready to print this now. Going to print it at 36 x 54 on canvas and then put a frame around it rather than a canvas wrap.
Igor, That title would work! Thanks, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 04/12/18 at 12:49 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

This is really charming, so often a trail is an eyesore in a landscape but the split is really quite a compositional strength here.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/12/18 at 6:31 pm EST    

Thanks Kah! I appreciate getting your thoughts and very glad you liked it. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Olsen on 04/15/18 at 10:08 pm EST    
Registered on 10/19/06, 306 Posts, 1571 Comments

When an image makes you want to be there to experience the scene, the photographer is successful....Congrats!!

Richard
Colorado
http://www.natureinview.net

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Olsen Gallery of Richard Olsen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/17/18 at 1:08 pm EST    

Thanks Richard!!

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 04/20/18 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Congrats on the EP Nick!

Your inclusion of the path again works as an invitation to take a walk for me, as already in some of your former images. The kind of vignetting fits in well with that exceptional lighting in my opinion. Hope you already had the opinion to make a large print.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 04/20/18 at 4:16 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Nick, this will look great wherever you hang it, I am sure.  It has great lighting, leading lines as well as the fog giving it a mystical look.

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/20/18 at 4:48 pm EST    

Peter and Shirley, Thank you so much for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Skip Layman on 04/21/18 at 7:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 558 Posts, 1704 Comments

Makes me want to take a hike through this mystical place.  Congrats on the EP

Skip Layman
Colorado Springs, CO

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Skip Layman Gallery of Skip Layman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/06/18 at 11:08 am EST    

Thanks Skip!! It really isa great place to hike along the Lake Michigan Shoreline. In this area of Cave Point the shoreline is quite rugged and very beautiful. Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership