Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Quiet Mysterious Light
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 04/01/18 at 1:46 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 04/01/18 at 2:23 pm EST

This past week we had a couple of early mornings with lots of fog and I love shooting with fog. It changes the look and feel of a scene so much and I just really enjoy seeing what I can come up with. This is another picture I made in the river bottoms that I seem to enjoy quite a bit and especially with fog. This is a small stream that flows into Long Lake just a couple of miles from my home.I could not seem to come up with any decent compositions but I finally figured out how I wanted to shoot this scene. I have never made a very good picture right from this location but I was quite happy with this one. It took getting in just the right spot (not so easy) and then the combination of early light and fog came together for me. Large version works much better! Hope you like it. 
Canon 5DMk4, 24-105L @90mm, ISO 200, F/11 and 1/50 sec.
Also just posted a newly processed image in M&N Gallery if you care to take a look. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 04/01/18 at 2:27 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

The contrast of fog and sprinkled sunlight is perfect. I might crop a little off the right.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/01/18 at 2:47 pm EST    

Thanks Ronald. It was a wonderful morning with such a nice combination of light and fog. I appreciate the suggestion too but really I don't think I would want to crop this at all. I like the tree on the right edge for a boarder and I think if it were cropped out it would get a bit close to the outer snag in the water. The first shot I made here was pretty much what you were thinking but it just didn't seem to work for me. Just my thoughts and I also appreciate yours. Maybe it would work and so glad you like it. cool Thank you, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 04/01/18 at 2:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

Oh My!  This is exquisite!  Delightful, yet mysterious mood.  The light striking the grasses both fore and background is beautiful.

This is just about perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Lon

ps. Ok, trying real hard to suggest something.... If you are ever to print this, you might consider cloning out a few of the bright specs floating in the water lower right. But that's stretching the nit pick...  angel

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/01/18 at 3:00 pm EST    

Thanks Lon! I really appreciate getting your thoughts on this and so very glad you enjoy it. I have a print file ready of this and did just what you were thinking on that large file. Just didn't bother with it here for some reason. cool Thanks much! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/01/18 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is real sweet, Nick! Love the light and the mood it gives the image. Most excellent. No nits here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/01/18 at 6:44 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Lovely light and atmosphere Nick.  Splendid image!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 04/01/18 at 7:16 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Outstanding Nick! The moodiness is dripping in this image. The composition is spot on, so your efforts paid off well. Nice job on taking advantage of the conditions to really add to the scene. I agree the large version is the ticket.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 04/01/18 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Nick, I meant to comment earlier and glad I came back. I really like the mood of the light, and the fog component does a good job to enhance the depth in the distance beyond the bank. As to framing for me this works quite well as is, and f11 got good detail throughout. Nicely done!

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 04/01/18 at 9:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Oh man, that's pretty.  The light is amazing in this one Nick.  I really like the moody feeling with the dark bare branches above along the creek over the nice lit grasses. The reflection really make this a great overall composition.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 04/01/18 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Another dark and mysterious woods, and the light and fog make this one special, too. I wouldn't change a thing. The colors are subtle but the orange in the grass complements the blues throughout.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/01/18 at 10:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Excellent, Nick. What a fine image. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 04/02/18 at 05:29 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

That's a gorgeous image Nick loads of mood and just about the right amount of mist fog and light to make it mysterious without being oppressive.  Love the colour palette too I think this would be less successful as a black and white image.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 04/02/18 at 08:23 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Gorgeous work, Nick. The light fog lends a wonderful air of mystery to this scene; it makes me want to explore and see what is out there; while the calm water and reflection is very soothing and relaxing. Print it big and find a place on the wall for it.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 04/02/18 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nick, I think this is a wonderful study of light and shadow. You should be very proud of this one, it has a lot of impact. The light and fog in those trees is simply gorgeous. Excellent work !!!!

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 04/02/18 at 8:03 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Excellent job of bringing out the mysterious feeling in this. The light is so soft; it's just amazing.
The light brightening up that far bank is just perfect for bringing some light into this, too.  Detailed reflections, great comp, so much to look at in here.  It has such a great feeling to it.   Most people would have walked right by this scene. Kudos.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 04/03/18 at 07:31 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

A eerie feel here Nick...love it as is..

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 04/03/18 at 1:23 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Looks like a painting with the low contrast and fog.  Love the feel and atmosphere it provokes.  Hard to improve upon it, other to play with color balance to maybe make it feel "happier" or more "somber".  I f I had one suggestion, might be to not have the water line meet the land line exactly in the corner.  Could easily fix with a slight crop off bottom, but a better solution might be to select a portion of the left corner and warp it lower so as not to remove any of the water with a crop.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Neale Dyster on 04/03/18 at 10:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/19/08, 94 Posts, 738 Comments

It's all been said! I agree with all the positives above. Great workdevil

Neale Dyster
Australia

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Neale Dyster Gallery of Neale Dyster

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 04/04/18 at 04:43 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Always a sucker for fog.  Very cool catch here!  Might be a good spot for spring/fall too!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 04/04/18 at 09:50 am EST    

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts on this one. So glad you like it! Thanks much, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership