Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rufous vs Allen's
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 03/30/18 at 11:37 am EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

More than likely, this is a Rufous Hummingbird but it is really difficult to tell the difference between a Rufous and Allen's male in breeding plumage.  I have looked through several bird guides including Sibley, iBird, and National Geographic Birds of North America.  iBird includes multiple photographs of both birds and they all look alike to me.  The general range of the Allen's shows that it basically stops in southern Oregon but there have been sightings in British Columbia.  Statistically this would be a rufous because I live within it's range in the Pacific Northwest.  I have included a side view.  These were taken yesterday afternoon.

Iso-1000, 200-500 at 480 mm, F7 .1, 800th, handheld, D 500, 60% of full frame, Adobe camera raw 10.2, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 30%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/30/18 at 11:38 am EST    
Comment last edited by David Schoen on 03/30/18 at 11:39 am EST

Here's a side view.
Iso-500, f6.3, 500th, handheld D500

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 03/30/18 at 11:58 am EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

He is gorgeous, whichever he is, David, and you did such a good job capturing the shot.  Nice color and detail, with a nice soft BG.  I am looking forward to our hummingbirds coming back.  I have missed them!

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/30/18 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

He is indeed gorgeous David. Really nice detail in both of these. Very nice flash of the gorgets.  I have heard that the Alllen's tends to have more green down the back and the feathers are narrower on the sides of their tails.  Not sure if that is absolute though.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/30/18 at 1:52 pm EST    

If he comes back today, I will try to get a posterior shot.  Sibley states they are very difficult to distinguish the two species.   Nat. Geo states this is immature plumage, not breeding plumage.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 03/30/18 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Fine colorful image in superb soft light, David. Detail in the big image is impressive.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nate Chappell on 03/30/18 at 6:37 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/06, 1158 Posts, 19528 Comments

Love the gorget on this shot David, nice wing blur to go with a tack sharp head. devil

Nate Chappell
Avian Gallery Moderator
Texas and Ecuador

BIRD PHOTOGRAPHY TOURS AND WORKSHOPS-SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nate Chappell Gallery of Nate Chappell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/31/18 at 12:50 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Wow.  The large version of the 1st image is stunning! The color and detail is amazing.  What a gorgeous bird.
I still don't understand how they can fly, given their small wing-to-body ratio.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 03/31/18 at 3:21 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

All of your hummingbird photos have been beautiful and well presented, but this one stands out.  Just gorgeous. I think you have discovered a hybrid and can name it the Schoen's Alfous Hummingbird, or Rufal or ??????

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Bogener on 03/31/18 at 6:42 pm EST    
Registered on 10/30/13, 417 Posts, 1255 Comments

Either way, you nailed it.  Excellent sharpness, solid eye contact.  Rufous started showing up here last week on their annual migration.

David Bogener    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Bogener Gallery of David Bogener

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 03/31/18 at 9:12 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Sweet job, David.  I'd go with the Rufous-that's what I always call them when I see these here.  Excellent detail and exposure with a nice background and a great gorget.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership