Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Trees #1
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 03/25/18 at 9:07 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

This was taken back in February, and is the first of several images of these trees.  I was standing on a snow berm along a gravel road to take this.  As you can see, snow is plastered to the sides of the trees.  The flat light and white sky gave an unusual feel to this.
The bushes in the foreground that look like they are cut off are small trees that have been browsed by moose.
There was so much detail in this that I had to make the image a little smaller, and then save it as a jpeg at about 80 quality, so I hope it has not lost too much.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Fuji X-t1, 18-135 lens at 40 mm
ISO 800, 1/60 sec, F20

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marjie Jones on 03/26/18 at 2:20 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/15, 35 Posts, 82 Comments

I like this! The snow lining makes each individual tree stand out beautifully. The larger image shows it best.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marjie Jones Gallery of Marjie Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/26/18 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The tan grass is nice among the trunk bases, as is the plastered snow that gives contrast and definition to the trees.  Too bad that the loss of detail at the required image size robs the image's beauty.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/26/18 at 3:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Genny, This is really nice work! I love scenes like this and even more so in the winter. Wonderful work capturing the special look and feel of these woods. Beautiful. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/26/18 at 3:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Genny, I like the way the snow accentuates the base of the trees and makes them stand out. I also like the spacing of the trees here. It's not always easy to get a pleasing arrangements of trees in a scene like this, but you have succeeded.I like the cold somber, mood created in this image. Look forward to seeing your other takes on this location.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/27/18 at 10:11 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

There's a wonderful amount of detail in this, Genny, that the flat light really shows off well.  Clearly this is an image that gets better as it's viewed larger.  The subtle bit of color from the grasses and through the trees are a great addition.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/28/18 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is excellent, Genny. I love the snow covered trees and the snow and bushes provide a fine lead-in. Great work. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/28/18 at 1:10 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

There's a lot of beauty in that chaos. This would make a nice BW too.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/29/18 at 12:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Genny, this is an excellent artistic presentation of the scene to me. The repetitive pattern of the trunks together with the almost hidden diagonals keeps my attention. I also enjoy the subtlety of the details a lot. A very sensitive way to see!

Peter

PS: one minor technical note - I think there is a tiny white stripe in the upper right corner that might be a bug due to cropping.

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/29/18 at 2:56 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  I liked this better with all the original detail, but it was twice as big as allowed.
Peter: sharp eye! Yes, I had straightened it, and that bit of white showed up when I cropped it.  Good catch; I will be sure and watch for that.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/29/18 at 10:12 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I find these kind of scenes to be very difficult to compose, but you have done really well here.  The foreground vegetation compliments the strong vertical lines of the trees and helps to add some rhythmic structure to an otherwise chaotic scene. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership