Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Eagle Drinking
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Avian gallery on 03/25/18 at 8:24 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

OK, I know this is not a very good image! It was blastingly bright, with the sun reflecting off the water and the snow and ice on this beach.  I was looking somewhat towards the sun, and I couldn't really get anywhere else and still see all the action.
The eagle is standing in, and drinking from, a small freshwater stream that is flowing into the saltwater.  In all the years I have seen eagles, this is the first time I remember seeing one actually drink water.  It stood in that small stream for 15-20 minutes.  The outside temperature was probably in the 30s in the bright sunshine, but man that water must have been cold.  I wanted to get to a better place, but would have had to get even closer to  the eagle to get by it, and I didn't want to do that.

There was so much contrast, I don't like how the image ended up.  Besides Shadows/Highlights and curves, I cropped it by about 50%.
Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Fuji X-T1, 18-135 lens at 123 mm
ISO 800, 1/500 sec, f18

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Tobias on 03/26/18 at 09:40 am EST    
Registered on 09/12/09, 2120 Posts, 6455 Comments

I think you did OK considering the light you were working with and the short lens.  I do think if you could tone down the brightness a bit it would look better.  I would also crop tighter if possible, and lighten the shadows on the eagles body.  Or, just enjoy the image you have.  Thanks for sharing.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Tobias Gallery of John Tobias

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/26/18 at 10:26 am EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Tough conditions Genny. Great behavioral shot though. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen a raptor drinking either. 

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 03/26/18 at 4:50 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Very cool behavior, Genny.  I've never seen them drinking either, though you have a lot more of them in that neck of the woods.  Nice catch.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership