Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Snow in the Pine Forest
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 03/22/18 at 4:34 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 03/23/18 at 10:08 am EST

This is another picture I made during our recent snow fall. I shot this one in the pine forest near my home before I headed into the river bottoms. It was still kind of dark in the early morning and I ended up using a high ISO of 1600 which is really unusual for me. I'm normally between 50 and 400 but I wanted to make the shot and move. I really didn't want to wait for more light because my plan was to head to the river bottoms right away and have time to find something I like. It was a fun day for me with lots of hiking through the snow. This one is a b&w conversion.
5DMK4, 24-105L @35mm, ISO 1600, F/5.6 1/13 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/22/18 at 4:55 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments
Comment last edited by Doug Koepsel on 03/22/18 at 4:57 pm EST

NIck, I like the whiter snow-covered boughs arcing across the upper middle.  I wonder about an alternative crop off the bottom above the lower set of boughs to make this more horizontal to match/accentuate the horizontal upper boughs.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/22/18 at 5:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nick I really like your B&W processing, the level of contrast is spot on, and you've retained nice shadow detail. The image has a great winter feeling to it. I sort of agree with Doug about the composition, the top half of the image is much more interesting to me than the bottom half.  The snow cover leaves at the top are so strong an element, that I could even see a panoramic crop working here, using just the top 40% or so of the image.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/22/18 at 7:08 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 03/23/18 at 12:06 pm EST

Thanks Doug and Ed! I think your crop suggestion could work and here is a version with that done. Appreciate your comments guys! 
Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/23/18 at 09:08 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another nice winter scene, Nick. For my tastes, the cropped version takes it too far. I think i would prefer a crop of maybe 1/3 (or slightly less) of the area between the bottom and the upper leaves. I think the horizontal branches below the leaves add a great deal to the scene. It is a fun image to play with, however you crop it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/23/18 at 09:23 am EST    

Thanks Harley! I agree and think I took the crop to far. I'll work on it a little more as I get a little time. Pretty busy with some deadlines the next couple of days...cool Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/23/18 at 11:07 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I actually prefer the original post, Nick. The scene contains so many amazing details and textures to savor and enjoy that I do not want to lose them with a crop. I also think the vertical lines of the tree trunks works beautifully with the horizontal format. Great eye to isolate this winter woodland scene.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/23/18 at 11:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nick, while the pano crop zeroes in on the nice snow covered leaves, I prefer the original composition. The original has an openness and details that speak well of the mood and the day. The processing is right on. Well seen, and nicely done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/23/18 at 12:48 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 03/23/18 at 12:49 pm EST

Nick, this is a great look at a snowy forest.  That set of horizontal, snow covered leaves near the top contrast very nicely with all the dark vertical trunks.  I can see the attraction to the focused view in the cropped version, but I do like the space and the "whole forest" view in the original post.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/24/18 at 01:56 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

This is a wonderful image to me, Nick I would not crop anything, it gives me a very nice natural feel of this wintry scene. Your processing is  spot on to my eye, I especially like the tonality and details  in the barks.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/24/18 at 08:26 am EST    

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I do like the uncropped version much better myself but can see why cropping it would come up when looking at it. Thanks so much! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/25/18 at 8:49 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I would have called this, "Dream World".  Such a great combo of sharp and soft, and bright against dark.  You have a real knack of getting really good comps of these snowy trees.  
I prefer the original post.  For me, that canopy branches at the top sort of frames the distant trunks in the middle of the image.
Well done!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/28/18 at 3:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Nick, I'll go with the original here on this scene, it's a killer........devil

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/28/18 at 4:48 pm EST    

Genny and Paul, Thanks much for your thoughts on this. I agree and like the original much better. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership