Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Buffleheads in Flight
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Avian gallery on 03/21/18 at 1:14 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Post last edited by David Schoen on 03/21/18 at 1:16 pm EST

Mating season is in full swing for the Buffleheads.  I frequently see four or five males approaching the females with full displays and territorial behavior from the males.  It can be quite amusing to watch.  Unfortunately they don't get as close to shore as I would like but I did manage to catch these four males at takeoff.  It was moderately foggy when this picture was taken. I was unable to see the other side of the inlet and visibility was less than 50 feet. There is some motion blur and it may be a tiny bit over sharpened to compensate.

Iso 1600, 200-500 mm at 500 mm, F7 .1, 1000th, D 500, handheld, DxO photo lab, ACR 10.2, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 50%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 03/21/18 at 6:35 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Nice catch, David.  Sounds like there's some good action going on around your place.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 03/21/18 at 11:12 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Nice catch of the action, and I like the panoramic comp.  I don't mind the small amount of blur at all, and I don't see any oversharpening.  

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 03/22/18 at 2:05 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

I like the leader's mouth open and I assume calling, "Follow me, I know the way!" I could easily have taken this. My equipment and post processing is very similar, except I use Lightroom rather than ACR.

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jerry Austin on 03/26/18 at 10:53 pm EST    
Registered on 01/06/12, 651 Posts, 3448 Comments

Has a painterly feel to it. Very nice.

Jerry Austin
Fort Worth, Texas

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jerry Austin Gallery of Jerry Austin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership