Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sand Beach Milky Way + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 03/20/18 at 1:44 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 03/21/18 at 10:08 pm EST

Nikon D 800
Nikon 17-35 @ 17 mm
f 2.8 @ 10 sec.
ISO 3200
cable release & tripod

This is from a trip Mike and I made last June to Acadia. The moon was just about full and provided so much light that we did not need our flashlights to make our way down to the beach. Ordinarily you would want something closer to the new moon, but in this case it did help light up the landscape with some nice light. I am reasonably happy with the end result as this was our first attempt at shooting the Milky Way. The original is a horizontal, but while working on the image I decided to crop from the left and right sides to make a vertical. I should have thought to shoot some verticals while there, but sometimes I just get stuck in the moment and do not think of alternatives. Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/20/18 at 3:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is a very nice night shot. The light on the foreground makes this. The nebulae also look very nice. I am little on the fence with the bright rock on the left, but that is minor. This works very well, Ed.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/20/18 at 6:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

The reddish orange tonal qualities on the rocks  in this image set the stage for the glowing Milky Way above.  I'm impressed that you are able to do this with a nearly full moon.  Superb job on the processing.  Compositionally I would tone down the reflections on the big rock in the left lower corner area and perhaps do the same with the similar smaller rock that also shows reflection just below the cliffs.  I don't think you should eliminate it but perhaps tone it down because it is a little bit of a eye magnet.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/21/18 at 07:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, this is really nice. I think the full moon really helps bring up the detail in the foreground and cliffs, even if it washes out the Milky Way a little bit. I love the way the moonlight adds light and color to the cliffs, it's gorgeous. Actually, I'm amazed how much of a shadow the moonlight creates on the foreground rocks. The small image looked too dark, but viewing the large one brings up lots of nice detail. The stars look very sharp, the 10 second exposure worked well for you. Agree with the comments about burning the two hotspots. I think you could also dodge the Milky Way core a little to emphasize it. Using Luminosity Masks would be an easy way to target that area.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/21/18 at 09:09 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Ed, this is a fine, realistic night shot.  The larger view is a must see to appreciate the details in the darker areas.  In thinking about hanging this, I think it would need some dodging of the darker areas.  The star field and the milky way look great.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 03/21/18 at 12:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This is a very natural appearing night shot. I like the sharpness of the stars and the warm colors on the cliffs. I think those two items are the focus of the image, and I find the bright reflections on the foreground rocks distracting. I would consider a crop from the bottom and/or burning or cloning out the bright rocks. Just my opinion. I know night shots are difficult to pull off and you have certainly done that here.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/21/18 at 12:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am not a night image guy, but I really like this one. It has a great realistic look to it. I actually like the bright rock lower left, but not the one in the middle. Go figure, the different opinions! Real nice work.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/21/18 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Nice job with this, always a challenging subject.  Agree with the others regarding the bright areas of the rocks.  I might try adjusting the white balance of the FG and ocean areas to reduce the reddish cast to give it more of a night feel.  The warm cast on the cliff rocks looks nice here.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/21/18 at 10:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts everyone; always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions of burning in the couple of rocks to tone them down, along with lighting the MW to make it a little more prominent and I reduced the red by five points to make the sand a little more neutral. Let me know what you think.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/22/18 at 08:00 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The repost is an improvement for me.  Definitely need the dark background.  Very cool scene.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 03/31/18 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Nice shot for a first ever attempt at a milky way image. Aside from the moonglow on the couple rocks I wouldn't change a thing.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 04/01/18 at 8:16 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I'm amazed the Milky Way looks that good in that much moonlight; that worked out well. This has a nice peacefulness Ed. Based on the angle of the Milky Way, I'm guessing the crop was a good idea.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership