Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Morning fog on the inlet
Photo posted by David Schoen in the Landscape gallery on 03/19/18 at 4:32 pm EST
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

I took this image this morning and converted it to black-and-white.  I have posted similar photos of this area previously.  I like the sense and the mood.

Iso-31, 24-120 at 86 mm, F8, 1/80, D850, tripod, ACR 10.2, Topaz adjust and black-and-white conversion, TK sharpening action at 40%

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/19/18 at 5:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great dreamy mood, makes a wonderful image.  I could see cropping off the bottom just a bit, but really minor and looks great as presented. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 03/19/18 at 7:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

The mood here is really nice. The B&W treatment really adds to the mood I think. Nice shot.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 03/19/18 at 9:38 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Nice hint of color in an otherwise foggy monotone scene, David. I like this as framed.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/19/18 at 10:19 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I agree, David, I like the mood in this.  You did a really good job of getting such a soft, quiet feel to the fog in this, and yet  you still have nice detail in the trees.  Nicely done.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/20/18 at 07:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

David, there's a nice painterly look to this image, the fog adds a dreamy feel to the shot. You have just the right level of detail in the trees to create some visual interest in the scene. I agree with Harley a small crop off the bottom would place more emphasis on the trees, but that is a nit. Nicely done !!!

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/20/18 at 2:54 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Moody and mysterious; I like it, David. The tree lined shoreline has just enough detail to set the mood in the image. My only suggestion would be a little crop from the bottom and make this more of a pano. I think that would get rid of some empty space and emphasize all the wonderful stuff going on along the shoreline. Great job on this.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/20/18 at 4:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very moody and soft. I really like reflection that ties everything together. A slight crop from the bottom would also work well. Good job, David.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/30/18 at 12:42 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Very moody with a sense of quiet.  I like the black and white conversion David.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 04/01/18 at 8:10 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I do enjoy the fog reflections. It's a common scene around here, and not always easy to pull off. Nicely done. Cropping a bit off the bottom and right might focus on the good stuff a little more.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership