Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sandpipers
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Avian gallery on 03/17/18 at 02:29 am EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

These Rock Sandpipers were sitting on the beach by the harbor, out of the wind and in the sun.  The tide was going back out, and you can see the high tide line, with the snow above it.  
Some were resting and some were stretching or preening.  The sound was fascinating; as people would come by, the birds would start talking, but then they would quiet back down. About half an hour later they started flying away in small groups, and we never di find them again.
Even taking this with a 400 mm lens, I cropped it to get it right down to just birds.  They were grouped together in sort of a long group along the water line.  I would love to get a picture of just solid bird bodies!!  I have tried to get a good photo of them flying, but I haven't accomplished that yet.

5d mkii, 100-400 L lens @ 400 mm
ISO 800, 1/800 sec, f10
Cropped about 40%, Shadows/Highlights, color balance, sharpen

Comments and critiques welcomed!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/17/18 at 09:14 am EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments
Comment last edited by Ed Williams on 03/17/18 at 09:16 am EST

Cool group portrait Genny. It is really impressive to see them all together. I really like the half snow/half shore in this. It is interesting how they look very different against the two different backgrounds. Like ying and yang. 

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 03/17/18 at 5:50 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Very interesting image!
I also like the contrast between the snowline and above the snow line.
It's always hard to know where to crop these types of images - something always gets cut off.
Fine image!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 03/17/18 at 9:18 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

I like it, Genny.  The transition from rocky shoreline to snow as the background appeals to me as does the mass of birds.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Avi Hirschfield on 03/18/18 at 05:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 518 Posts, 2114 Comments

Wonderful the shoreline matches there colors only opposite 

Creativity is GOD'S gift to us.
Using our creativity is our gift to other's.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Avi  Hirschfield Gallery of Avi  Hirschfield

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 03/18/18 at 5:50 pm EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

Love this!  This appears simplistic in all it's "busyness", because of the simple bands of color!    

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 03/18/18 at 6:06 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Now that's a lot of Sandpipers, Genny. Interesting take on the varied habitat, and considering the foreground, the species is well titled.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 03/19/18 at 2:06 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

That's quite the group Genny. Well captured

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/19/18 at 4:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

This is a good behavioral shot.  I like the layers in the image along with the almost regular pattern of the Sandpipers.  Good exposure and detail levels.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership