Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sabbaday Falls # 2
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 03/15/18 at 4:36 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Nikon D 800
Nikon 35-70  @ 62 mm
f 20 @ 0.3 sec.
ISO 400
cable release & tripod
White Mountains, NH

This is a slightly different composition than the last post. I switched lenses and framed the falls a bit tighter while moving a little to the left. Just curious if you prefer one over the other.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 03/15/18 at 5:39 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Ed, I think I like this one a little better than the first. I prefer how the upper section of falls plays a more prominent part and to me the image has a slightly better flow. No nits frm me. I expect a sort of 50/50 response from others since they're both great.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/15/18 at 7:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I prefer this one, too, Ed. The textures in rock, and especially the water, are more prominent. One minor nit: There is a spot of green at the top edge on the tree trunk that grabs my eye. The color looks great, and I like the hints of green at the top. This would make a nice print. Well done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/15/18 at 10:33 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Both versions are very nice, Ed.  I'm having a hard time picking a favorite between the two.  On one hand I like the original because of the trees and vegetation above the falls.  On the other hand, I like the framing of the falls a little better here especially with a little more room for the bottom cascade.  I saw the wide version you posted so I know the limitations that you were facing in terms of composition. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/16/18 at 07:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, I prefer this view to the original one. More of the back waterfall is visible, and I also like the more diagonal orientation of the foreground waterfall. Overall the processing looks good, I like the warmer white balance here. I actually like the log being in the second waterfall, it helps make the image more unique. Nice work !!!

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 03/16/18 at 09:02 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Ed, I really like this one. Having the upper falls in full view here is very nice, and the composition appears better balanced to my eye. A great capture of a very cool (and difficult to shoot) waterfall.

My only critique was the green up top that Preston already mentioned.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/16/18 at 11:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, I think this one is my favorite and it has been nice seeing the different takes you came away with. This one really makes me enjoy the upper falls even more. The detail and texture in the foreground rock is really nice as well.  Very nice work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/16/18 at 1:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts folks; always appreciated.

Preston and Craig: Good catch. I am going to have to be aa little more observant as I missed some greenery on the bottom of my last post. cool

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/16/18 at 2:17 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 03/16/18 at 2:19 pm EST

This is my favorite of the three, Ed.  The two steps look great.  Having the top step surrounded with green and the bottom step with stone makes for excellent texture and color contrast.  Removing that little spot at the top makes a great view even better.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/17/18 at 03:05 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

An absolutely great comp, and combined with the great job on the flowing water, this just keeps my attention.  Love the greens in there, and you got the vegetation in the right places.  
Now I have to go find the other version!! angel

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/17/18 at 03:08 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

OK, I went back and looked at the other one.  I like them both.  Very different feel to each one. This one is much more intimate, and the falls look much smaller.  I was really surprised when I looked at the other image, at how big the falls were.  Well done on both of them.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/17/18 at 10:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I much prefer this one (given the other is quite nice). I really like this comp, nice transition from top to bottom. As an experiment, I might desaturate the water  some in the near falls and see how it looks more on the white side. Hard to say if it would be an improvement though. This is a really nice image. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership