Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

River Bottoms
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 03/15/18 at 2:45 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 03/26/18 at 10:56 am EST

This is another picture I made in the Wisconsin River Bottoms after the last nice snow we had. I like hiking around seeing if I can come up with anything interesting. Hard to find comps that work but I always enjoy being in there during and after a new snow fall.
5DMK4, 16-35 f/4L @35mm, ISO 100, F/16 and 1/20 sec. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 03/15/18 at 2:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Wonderfully dynamic composition, with the arching trees and little stream. Nice detail and the B and W looks great. Gorgeous!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/15/18 at 4:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is another amazing take from your trip to the river bottoms, Nick. This almost looks to be a B&W, but the little hint of color is wonderful.  I really like the graceful curve of open water and the way it takes me into the scene. I am really liking your processing on these. Keep them coming.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/15/18 at 7:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nick, I just have to say that your black and white work is wonderful, and evokes a gently dramatic mood. This composition is excellent. I like how the water mimics the curves of the branches. The tonal values look great! Beautifully done!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 03/15/18 at 7:46 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Really nice, Nick. And I really like the hint of color, and so as such I'd never suggest converting to B&W. The dusting of snow on the trees, the exposure and overall balance of the composition is excellent considering the rather bleak weather. Very nice work!

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 03/15/18 at 8:42 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Very pleasing shapes Nick, it works in a simple and beautiful way.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/15/18 at 10:36 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the way that the trees seem to be stretching out over the creek.  I think your comp works well here due to the interesting shape of the creek and the trees.  The snow helps to simplify the scene as well. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/16/18 at 07:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Nick, this a very graphic image with a lot of impact for me. As you said, finding good comps in woodlands can be a challenge, but you did a great job distilling this image down to few key elements. The way you have arranged the open water in this composition is outstanding, it creates a sense of depth, and gets my eye moving back and forth across the scene. I would suggest cropping a little away from the top, removing some of the white in the sky would place even more emphasis on the graphic shapes of the trees and water.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/16/18 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a great, post snow, view of the river and woods, Nick.  Those leaning treas as well as the shape of the river poking through the unmarked snow look great.  With all the snow, b&w definitely looks like the way to go.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/16/18 at 3:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very nice, Nick. You captured some nice forms in this nice winter scene, and I like the processing.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/16/18 at 3:57 pm EST    

Thanks guys for your thoughts and suggestions on this. Much appreciated as always! This looks pretty much like a b&w image but it actually is not a conversion. The scene was almost in b&w naturally with just a hint of color in a little of the grass and just a slight touch in some of the tree bark. I lowered the saturation a very slight amount (mostly yellow) and the processing was mostly Lightroom and then dodge and burn in CS6. Thanks all, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/16/18 at 6:45 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is excellent, Nick. Great lines and those arching trees provide some nice framing. The snow does a wonderful job simplifying what I suspect would otherwise be a very chaotic scene. Beautiful as presented but I could see experimenting with trimming a bit off the top to minimize the bright areas and direct the eye more toward the center. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/16/18 at 7:33 pm EST    

Thanks Dave! So glad you like it. Ed mentioned cropping a little off the top as well and I think that might work! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 03/16/18 at 7:53 pm EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Nick: I think that you'd be hard pressed to find a better composition. It deserves a big spot on your wall. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/17/18 at 02:53 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Ah geez, you did it again.  devil
Man these are nice!!! The trees are so cool, leaning over like that.  I really like the feel and texture of the snow in this, and the comp, with the stream coming through the trees and angling out in front, that balances everything perfectly.
Super!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/17/18 at 09:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is really sweet, Nick. My initial thought was a top crop, but doing some scroll cropping, I like it better as is. Nice strong graphic quality to the image. It is a fine winter image!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/17/18 at 10:14 am EST    

Richard, Genny and Harley, Thanks and I'm so glad you liked it. Cheers, Nick
Harley, I did try a crop now but like you decided I like it best the way it is. cool. Thought it may work but once I went past just a tiny bit it just didn't seem to work for me either, and the very small amount just didn't seem worth while. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/17/18 at 11:39 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, what makes this image exceptional for me is the juxtaposition of the complex structure of the trees with the clear-cut shapes in the foreground. The subtle hints of colors finally draw my attention even more.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 03/17/18 at 4:26 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Really nice! The leaning trees add such a dynamic to the comp. A beautiful winter scene beautifully processed!

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 03/18/18 at 1:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Beautiful, Nick, simple but elegant, well done!

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/18/18 at 3:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Really nice lines using the water and sweeping trees with snow. Lots of tones in this, wondering if toning down the sky would change anything. Very nice.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/24/18 at 09:08 am EST    

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on this one. Much appreciated! Cheers, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/26/18 at 12:12 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Congratulations Nick on the WP here for this excellent image. The arch of trees is the winning draw for me.......devil

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership