Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sabbaday Falls
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 03/11/18 at 2:12 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Nikon D800
Nikon 35-70 @ 44 mm
f 20 @ 1/4 sec.
ISO 400
MLU & cable release
CPL
White Mountains, NH

This is a lovely waterfall not to far off of the Kangamangus Highway in NH. There are not a lot of different options for compositions as you have a stairway which takes you past the front of the falls and off to the right. Most of the time I would clone out the limb hung up in the water, but decided to leave it as it would be a little different from other images.

Hopefully we will make it back this June and possibly head up the trail a bit farther for some different compositions.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/11/18 at 3:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Real pretty little falls. I might crop the bottom or clone out the moss along the bottom edge and maybe clone the leaves coming in on the left edge. Minor stuff, though. Nice scene. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/11/18 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Lovely scene Ed, it has a nice warm feeling to it, i like your choice of white balance in the processing.. The shutter speed is dead on, the water flow looks great. I do agree with Harley about cloning away the small bits of vegetation on the left side of the frame, but that is a minor nit. overall a very pleasing waterfall mage.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/11/18 at 5:23 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the step-down layers in the cascades.  The foliage at the top adds some nice color.  I do find myself wanting to see a bit wider view, especially at the bottom of the frame where I assume there is a pool at the base of the falls.  I also find it to be a tad too tight on the right hand side.  Of course I don't know what lies outside of the frame.  cool

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/11/18 at 6:34 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I've never shot these falls - the number of cars in the parking lot has deterred me I think.  The branch in the falls doesn't bother me though the bottom fall cut off is more of an attention grabber.  Possibly not an issue for a casual viewer though.  The processing looks great, very natural.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/11/18 at 6:57 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

This is a very cool scene.  Love the look here.  My brain wants to step to the left and pan back to the right a bit compositionally, but not sure if that is possible.  I actually like the branch in the falls there btw.  Adds a bit of interest.  Can see this being a great fall spot too!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/11/18 at 7:36 pm EST    

Thanks for your thought's everyone; always appreciated. Here is a wider view that shows the complete falls. I posted this version because the wider view would have to go in M&N because of the hand rails. Unfortunately I could not see a way around the hand rails when trying to shoot the whole falls. Oops, I completely missed those greens along the bottom edge.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 03/12/18 at 05:40 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

The double cascade is a lovely subject. Processing looks spot on and the composition works for me.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/12/18 at 06:06 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Ed, this falls does present some challenges in terms on shooting vantage points, but I like the second M&N type presentation.

If you go back in June, you may want to try crossing the stream just above the falls, and coming back and shooting down on the falls from the left. It offers some really nice views of the pool between the two falls. I've also had good luck working the stream further up, as you have planned on trying.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 03/12/18 at 10:16 am EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Ed: wonderful light, subject and composition. I like how my eye is led up into the scene by the two cascades and how the greenery contrasts with the tones of the rocks. While scrolling in the large version, I think you have an equally good second photo of just the upper half of this image. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/12/18 at 2:02 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Real nice, Ed. Beautifully composed with wonderful soft light. Processing looks good. I agree with Harley on cloning or taking a thin slice off the bottom/left edge to eliminate that protruding bit of greenery.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 03/12/18 at 3:59 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

Love it as posted Ed. Great landscape image!

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/13/18 at 11:24 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Ed, this is a great take on this water fall.  The streaming water contrast very well with the rocks and the lovely early summer greens.  It looks/sounds like your composition options may be limited, but this view has me wondering about a comp. with the lower step a bit further to the left in the frame.  The limb in the upper falls is almost invisible.  The second view is a good one as well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/13/18 at 6:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

First, the large version is a must-see. The color and shadow detail are much better. Compositionally, this works very nicely. Your processing is spot-on. Well done, Ed!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 03/13/18 at 7:25 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This turned out really good, Ed. The stair stepping flow of the comp is nice. The saturated greens really pop. Other than the previously mentioned green at the bottom, can't think of a way to improve it.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/13/18 at 8:48 pm EST    

Thanks for your thoughts folks; always appreciated.

Ed: Thanks for the tips. We will be sure to head up the trail a little further and check that out.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/15/18 at 10:46 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/15/18 at 6:02 pm EST

WOW, I really like this one Ed for an open invitation to take even more photos here. This is a wonderful scene. I would NOT clone the limb out. In fact, I would move in on that small fall alone with the limb in place and work in even more takes. Maybe even some long lens takes if moving in is too risky. No need to slip and get hurt here, but that area of the upper fall to me has some real potential on it's own. Great find here on this one, Ed.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/15/18 at 2:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 03/15/18 at 2:57 pm EST

A really great looking falls and you did a very nice job with it. I can see the problem with the stone and fence that you had to work around and you did good. the light and colors look great as does the 1/4 sec exposure with the water. Looks like just working the upper falls for a comp on it's own might be interesting to try when you get back. I actually like the hung up log and what it adds to the falls. Nice work Ed.
Edit: now I see Paul had those same thoughts. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Rossi on 03/16/18 at 10:59 pm EST    
Registered on 02/08/18, 48 Posts, 19 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Rossi on 03/16/18 at 11:03 pm EST

1st photo - Great framing and composition.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Rossi Gallery of Paul Rossi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership